View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #15
hugogu
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2008 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgm5 View Post
Like I stated in the title.

I got a yellow caution light that stays on in the lower left hand corner of the gauge cluster stating :
"rear axle differential lock" -

And on the nav screen when I check the cars status it states :
"rear axle differential lock - stability limited during dynamic driving - drive moderately"

as well, the little traction light staying on (the light that normally flash's when you lose rear traction).

When I drive the car is sure does feel exactly what it states. that the rear diff is locked and both tires are being driven at once in all situations. no matter what setting are used or whether traction/stability control is on or off.

The car has 950 miles on it. And has yet to be driven "very" hard, and no launch's (LC not yet activated) or starting burnouts have been done.

The only thing that I had done different from the previous 949 miles (estimated) is that yesterday was the first day that I drove the car in the rain. As I left a 7-11 parking lot in the rain, the car was fine with no faults, and i got in front of traffic and moderately stepped on the gas to go, and the traction control light flashed and then never went off. The rear slipped slightly and that's when the yellow fault's went on. Never to shut off yet.

I though it might have been cause of the rain. but I started the car the next morning and the fault is still being shown.

any help ? fyi, their were no loud clunks or sensation of anything catastrophically breaking. The car was driven about 10 miles after the light went ON as i was leaving to get on an airplane and was not in the mood to deal with this issue at the moment.

If their is any other information that anyone would like , I will do my best to provide it. I would take photos but right now i'm on the other side of the country and my car is in NY.

btw, this is my first post. hello everyone. I got the car a couple months ago and have been reading the forum. Great source of info, so this is the first place i thought I would put a feeler out on to see if anyone has seen something similar on their car.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post25428753

Posted here, I think we have the same issue. I think it's linked to cold weather (rain would also make it cooler). For me issue started after 7,000 miles (and a 6 week repair of a body panel).

Let me know if you get a fix. I will turn in my car next week to give them 5 days to look over everything. I can reproduce the issue in my car without issue now ...

Enable start/stop
Warm up the car
Put it in sport+, 3/3 gearing (most likely not needed ...)
Stop at a light/whatever and let the start/stop shut down the engine.
Give some throttle ...
- Car goes into Neutral
- Getting warning about rear diff
- Often combined with driver assist disabled (8 different ones)
- Instrument panel / MM screen blanks out (engine still running)
- Losing map (not always)

Stopping the car, closing it, and starting it again reset the issue.
Appreciate 0