04-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #34
RockNDoc
M5 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Again - I don’t think you can generalize your experience to apply to everyone. You certainly haven’t had good luck - but that doesn’t mean your experience is law. Variables like improper installation, adaptation, and break in can’t be ignored, no matter how emotional you are about the way Kris has handled your particular case.

People are much more likely to report negative outcomes than positive. That’s human nature. I’ll report back my findings either way - simple as that.

Out of curiosity - are you a physician?
If you'll reread my original post, you'll realize that I did not generalize in any way, but just recounted my experience with the SSP product. You made the generalizations about "improper installation, adaptation, and break in", which exist with any automotive or other application. I went to great lengths and $$$$ to believe in the product and make it work, including no less that 9 (yes NINE) R&R's of the transmission. Unfortunately, this was to no avail. IMO, the problem is in the great variability of the product itself... either sourcing, manufacturing, or material. I can tell you that the brand new paper thin plates for 1st and 2nd that were removed from the second set of clutches after less than 50 miles were already showing wear. It's apparent that the clutches are binding up. They are also catching on the billet basket housing and not releasing. All of this results in excessive friction which results in increased heat and premature failure. This has been my experience with TWO sets of clutches now, the first of which destroyed my DCT. I have personally reached my limit, and have abandoned any further attempts with the SSP product. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone else, and there are certainly others who have made this product work for them, but I'm not the only one who has had issues either. The DCT set up in the F10 is the weakest link for getting HP on the ground. There's a reason the new F90 M5 is a pure automatic with AWD. Maybe we shouldn't try to outsmart German engineering and the millions of Euros in R&D on this one?

And why yes... the user name is a bit of a give away... What about yours? lol
Appreciate 2