05-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #47
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330e/F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I agree that we shouldn't underestimate how long it takes to redesign and source new things into new production. It is probably difficult/very expensive to make big progress in a short amount of time with such car products. It better have been planned well ahead to be cost effective. And I agree such planning would typically have been done by a marketing department.

But lets look at the "improvements", actually most of them could have been done a few months before the launch. They are simply software changes:
  1. Power increase by 11kW (15HP) to 423kW (575 HP) - Programming
  2. Stiffer stabilizer (anti-roll) bars - Simple upgrade which trades comfort for sportiness
  3. Stiffer and lower suspension (shocks and springs) (10mm lower then standard M5/M6) - Simple upgrade which trades comfort for sportiness
  4. Stiffer front axle bushings - OK, nice I guess...
  5. Active M Differential with a unique tune for the competition package for improved traction - Programming
  6. New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering - Programming
  7. M Dynamic mode (MDM) of DSC tuned with higher thresholds of intervention - Programming
  8. New 20" M light alloy wheels - Not even an upgrade... and why aren't they forged anyway?
  9. Sport exhaust with black chrome tips - Not even an upgrade
Programming, programming, programming and pretty much parts that are going to be released under the M Performance line in a year.
Appreciate 0