chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil335 View Post
How do you figure that is progress? BMW has the means and technology to put this car out on it's debut. These cars are thought up, drawn up, designed and tested years in advance. They nave a bigger timeframe then you think. I just read article by a designer from another manufacturer that said "majority of the designs you see on the road now were thought up 7 years ago". It's called marketing! How many special versions and competition packages were released for the E34 M5 (Not counting the Winkelhock and Cecotto Drivers Editions) E39 M5 or E60 M5? With BMW's sales and profits going up up and away they figured "Here's another chance to add a premium option that could add more profit and possibly grab the attention of current F10 M5 owners that need the latest and greatest". Plus using Bugatti as an example is a horrible comparison. They have one model, the Veyron. It has no heritage and no meaning like the M5 regardless of its performance and exclusivity. Regardless of how many variants they have of it. Marketing at it's best.
I agree that we shouldn't underestimate how long it takes to redesign and source new things into new production. It is probably difficult/very expensive to make big progress in a short amount of time with such car products. It better have been planned well ahead to be cost effective. And I agree such planning would typically have been done by a marketing department.

But lets look at the "improvements", actually most of them could have been done a few months before the launch. They are simply software changes:
  1. Power increase by 11kW (15HP) to 423kW (575 HP) - Programming
  2. Stiffer stabilizer (anti-roll) bars - Simple upgrade which trades comfort for sportiness
  3. Stiffer and lower suspension (shocks and springs) (10mm lower then standard M5/M6) - Simple upgrade which trades comfort for sportiness
  4. Stiffer front axle bushings - OK, nice I guess...
  5. Active M Differential with a unique tune for the competition package for improved traction - Programming
  6. New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering - Programming
  7. M Dynamic mode (MDM) of DSC tuned with higher thresholds of intervention - Programming
  8. New 20" M light alloy wheels - Not even an upgrade... and why aren't they forged anyway?
  9. Sport exhaust with black chrome tips - Not even an upgrade
aside from the bushings and suspension tweaks, it's programming. This just makes me favor a bmw ecu flash as opposed to an aftermarket. and agree hope that these parts retrofit.

us early adapters can not complain- we have had exclusivity rights and I have loved every minute of it
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0