Thread: Blew my engine
View Single Post
      07-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #37
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Alright guys, here's the good news!

BMW agreed to replace the engine for free under warranty. $50k engine replacement my service advisor told me. Yes, it was driven hard. Yes, it was previously tuned. I was rolling 130mph headed to ATL from MIA with this Focus ST and I thought for sure there was a 10% chance BMW NA would come back and say "the logs look like you were driving the car like a madman directly before it died". On top of that, I am curious how the transmission will fare with the new engine due to how badly I grinded third directly before she seized.

The even better part is (I didn't want to say this until everything was finalized) but, I had a JB4 + BCM on it probably 2 months ago. I took it off because although it was VERY cool and 1,000% worth the money, my car died in the middle of three lanes of traffic and I had to push that b*tch in 90 degree heat because of it.

It was just misfires and stuff and the problem went away a few hours later without me having to do anything other than spam "clear CELs" and turn it on and off a bunch of times. It was my fault because apparently I "didn't close the case correctly" on the JB4 (I'm a software engineer, you would think I know how to tighten 4 screws :P) but Terry and gang were great. He gave me a full refund which I give him mad props for.

Verdict + tl;dr: I drive the F*CK out of my car. Hard. Not because I'm a good driver or I'm so cool or I'm a track guy or I know what I'm doing. This is the first car I learned stick on. Blew the clutch, blew the driveshaft. Service history a mile long (gas pump failed, A/C blower went out, B&O speakers blown, ignition coils went bad). BMW has been nothing but good to me. I was never a BMW fan (I ran into some money and said f*ck it, why not get an M5) and it was the best thing I ever did. My rotors started to crack, boom, all 4 new rotors and pads. I've never paid a dollar for anything service related. Free oil changes, free fluids, free everything. I just buy tires... often. :P

M5 of Theseus. I'm mad I got an M6 already. I should have kept this baby after lease (6MT, red guts, B&O, she's a bad b*tch). I was away too afraid to have it outside of warranty... but, with an entirely new engine, I don't know...

Nah, thinking about it, I still wouldn't want this car out of warranty, or without knowing DAMN well an extended warranty is going to cover like, 95% of shit that goes wrong. Electronics included.
Appreciate 0