View Single Post
      04-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

That oil consumption is excessive, indicating something is not right with the engine. I'd take it to the dealership and have them check for leaks and do a compression test. I'd want to know what the number is.

To keep oil consumption down, the break-in is absolutely critical. You want to run the car at a number of different speeds, rpms and gears in the first 2,000 miles. You do not want to go full load/throttle or above 4,000 rpm for this time. Wherever possible, you want to avoid cold starts as much as possible, so try not to take a lot of short trips where the car sits overnight. I always plan a long drive on the backroads when I pickup a new car (500 miles or more). You absolutely want to change the oil at 2,000 miles or so. There is all sorts of crap in the oil at this point, and when you go F.T. and high rpm, you don't want a bunch of metal particles in the oil. Once you hit the 2,000 miles and changed the oil, gradually work up to F.T. and max rpm over the next few hundred miles.

If you break the car in this way, you will burn the minimum amount of oil. I've put over 100,000 miles on my E60 M5 along with many track days, and it used 1 liter/5,000 miles consistently it's whole life. My Porsche was broken in the same way, and since I haven't tracked it or driven it quite as hard as I did the M5, I'm using less than 1 liter/10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0