Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Besides the OP of that thread, not sure. I have a set going in this weekend which is why I posted the link. If you look at the applications, the 8165 is used in a ton of other BMW engines. My guess is after some long term testing they realized the larger electrode wasn't needed on the M engines after all. Pair that with increased coil failures and it seems they've decided to phase out that plug.
I was just doing research and seeing if there was a better, more durable plug out there that was available. From my experience in tuning on my previous GM LS motors, a good tuner would know how far you could go without requiring different plugs. If I were to to do a tune, it would only be a stage 1 and I'd want one that did not require me to change plugs, (preferably eat through them no quicker, as well.) I ended up emailing BOSCH and wanted to just share what they told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
Mines a 16. Went in for an oil change. SA said time based service recommended spark plugs. Its covered free. Battery also was low and was changed also. Not bad for a days work.
This must be what happened on my vehicle. The dealer changed the plugs at around 8,000 miles on the odometer and I'm guessing not because it was wholly necessary, but in large part due to the fact BMW would pay for it. Since I got the vehicle 800 miles later, I practically had new plugs and it runs like a Swiss watch.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0