View Single Post
      10-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #32
BimmerDKT
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I tuned the E90 M3 and also had a water/meth kit on it that increased ignition timing when the meth was flowing. I thought about Schrick cams, a stroker motor or a supercharger. Very mixed reviews on strokers in terms of durability, particularly for track use. The positive displacement supercharger looked interesting but would have changed the character of the car and one mercurial guy controls the tuning. A centrifugal was likely the way I would have gone if I kept the car. But that can reduce reliability and you still have to drive the car hard to access the power — centrifugal adds roughly the square root of peak boost at half peak rpm and makes peak boost only at peak rpm. A 9 psi kit makes 9 psi at 8400 rpm and 3 psi at most at 4200 rpm. I had a centrifugal on my E36 M3 but changed to a turbo after a few years and like that more. I kept the turbo E36 M3 and sold the modded E90 M3.

I also wanted AWD to put the power down more of the time. I had 18x9.5/10.5 wheels on the E90 M3 and ran both 285/35/18 and 295/30/18 rear tires (295/30 makes the 3.85 like a 4.10) but still had traction issues with PSS street tires. With more power from a supercharger, traction would be worse. If I lived in a warm dry area, I could have used stickier rubber but I am in the Northeast. I had snow wheels as well for the winter.
Gotcha. I have CAI, pulleys, test pipes, Magnaflow catback, and the Epic Motorsports Stage 2 tune. I think the Harrop SC is probably the most logical upgrade for just fun factor. Agree that the centrifugal makes no sense, and while a stroker is tempting ... I should just buy the BW if I'm going to consider going that far. I'll give a look at the F10 M5's per your recommendation. Might be the best compromise.

FYI, the newer summer tires are amazing. Falkens RT660's are pretty darn close to an R-compound tire. Way more grip than a PS4S, and they take a really impressive amount of abuse to heat cycle off. Running 19's with 265 rears, and I have to be extremely aggressive (short of a clutch kick) to get a drift initiated.
Appreciate 0