08-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Having driven manual transmissions and loving the experience and performance benefits I was excited back in 2002 to try the first generation SMG in the M3. Also around that time I was getting a little tired rowing the gears especially for my daily driver. I was intrigued by the technology and did not want an automatic. Keep in mind this was before some of the excellent transmissions we have today.

Unfortunately I was not happy with the SMG. Just to jerky and when left in automatic mode was even worse. But I guess like anything else it paved the way for the DCT.

After the SMG M3 I went the Mercedes AMG route CLK, E63 and CLS63

I love everything about the DCT. Never thought I'd be driving so much in manual mode but its so much fun and rewarding. Million times better than the Mercedes MCT and in general the BMW is so much better overall in terms of balance, handling, rear differential etc.

The one thing however (getting back on point) is that it seems the SMG "blipped" the throttle more on downshifts like a perfectly performed heel/toe. It was tricky but when done correctly with using the throttle a bit the revs, sound and feel were great.

This part just doesn't seem to be as good with the SMG.
Does anyone else feel the same?
Am I not doing something right?
I drive in manual mode all the time, it's a blast, no clutch but the car shifts lightning fast. I think maybe you don't run with your windows down enough because you definitely get the rev matching blips and burps on downshifts. I even had a guy in a parking lot ask me about it one time. He asked if I had a manual because he heard the blips.

I think if you get an exhaust and downpipes, you will hear it even more. I had a guy today in the same parking lot (different guy it's the lot at my gym) ask me if the exhaust was stock because it sounded too good for stock.
Appreciate 0