11-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #123
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
That's because N54/N55 HPFPs continually failed. They were truly faulty in design (or at least in implementation, it seems that ever since the software was updated to prime the fuel pump before you start the engine the number of HPFP failures has gone way down). BMW didn't have a true fix for the HPFP so they just offered to keep replacing them for free until 100,000 miles (or whatever it was).

In this case, one fuel pump was faulty and BMW replaced all of the ones manufactured in that batch as a precaution. They were being nice to make sure no one else had a blown motor as the result of a fuel pump failure, it's not like all of the fuel pumps were actually bad. Unless the pump failed like it did for the one guy whose motor blew, there wouldn't be any damage done to the engine.

(I just read laurenxesq's post above about his car dying too) If the issue is more widespread than just the one car that blew during European Delivery, then I haven't really been following this closely but it's clearly not widespread in the same level as the N54/N55 HPFP.
Just FYI... when the HPFP fails on any x35i bmw model... the engine just dies or will not start. The engine does not blow up. It simply will not run/idle/drive. Most owners just get the LONG cold cranks in the morning. I've never heard of someone needing a new engine bc of a bad HPFP. Or poor power or no power at WOT.

I am not calling you a liar... I'm just saying that for 99.8% of the x35i owners... a bad HPFP is not that big of an ordeal.
Appreciate 0