View Single Post
      10-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Absolutely agree with the last 2 posts. I'm new to the DFW area and I'm quite surprised how casually people park high priced cars out in the baking sun without a second thought. I expected to see the majority of people down in the south to have the habit to park with sunshades on the windshield when parked in the sun. It remains to be a rare sight.

Here's an experiment. The next time you park outside on a 95F+ sunny day for more than an hour, when you come back, try putting your hand on the dashboard to see how hot it gets. It will burn your hand and feel a like a stove! It gets WAY hotter than most people ever think. Imagine that happening hours every day for years. How is it possible for a manufacturer to make a dashboard that will withstand those conditions? They just can't.

Make it a habit to ALWAYS use a sunshade on the windshield of any car you own, especially if it has an expensive leather dashboard. I've always done this with every car I've ever owned, even for short durations. Why not, it's a painless habit and peace of mind. I've never had a single problem with the dashboard on any car I've owned. Make it a habit also to condition your leather with a product that's designed to block UV rays. And lastly, use a crystalline tint or window film with a high light transmittance and heat rejection/UV block on the windshield. This is an additional measure that will also help protect the interior.

If none of this sounds doable to you, full leather definitely isn't a good choice for you.