View Single Post
      03-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #86
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post

I'm being partially serious though. There are legal places where some of our cars are capable of breaking 112mph, like a drag strip, or a track.
Sure, but thats not the public road.
Volvo has no issue with going as fast as you can on a track or dragstrip.
This is also not a valid comparison as
1. dragstrip and track are layed out as such that these speeds are relatively safe for driver and spectators
2. other users of the track expect these speeds.

This is purely a discussion about speeds on the public roads.
And it gets really dangerous when your car has a velocity higher than 50kph over the other cars (thats why volvo set that limit at 112mph/180kph). Thats 50kph faster than the max speed limit on highways in a lot of european countries and the advisorary speed on unlimited stretches on the autobahn (yes, there really is such a thing!).
Other road users just dont expect other cars to go that fast (except on unlimited autobahn stretches), and thus dont anticipate on that.
There is a reason that in germany on the unlimited stretches doing over 130kph, one has an aggravated legal responsibility. And that can cost you dearly when getting into a crash, even if its not directly your fault. Most people outside germany don't even know this.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-07-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0