View Single Post
      02-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
Falcao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Getrag specifies a 700 Nm maximum for the DSC transmission, and G-Power has blown the lid off that number!

Congratulations G-power! Especially considering you did absolutely nothing to beef-up the transmission to handle your extra torque.

As an engineer, I can say there's not much worse than getting someone to buy something because you blew away the stock specification, but didn't bother to tell them that you blew away the reliability as well.

Easy there. You take risks period when adding mods to perfectly normal car from factory. With the E60, most opt for aftermarket springs, add wider tires, add tune, change exhaust, raise s85 rev limit to 8500rpm, etc. Nothing new here so a risk is a risk and we know from history, German engineering always put conservative limits for specs.

I suspect Gpower tune limits a lot of that tq hitting the high values for sustained period on the gearbox. Will it reduce DCT life..sure but the advantage of having more tq and hp will always outweigh killing DCT..at least until we see a few grenade from aftermarket tunes. How bad could it be anyway? SMG in my factory spec car died 20k so nothing we are not used to

I await what our friends at Dinan have to offer.
Appreciate 0