View Single Post
      06-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Oh sorry, I forgot to specify
The last pic is from an Indian-spec 525d

But nevertheless, I only used that as an example or as a reference to illustrate how this 8 inch screen looks like when the car is 'on'.

Also, where I'm from (Philippines) all of the regular 5 series cars sold here only have this small screen..........probably because BMW does not yet have GPS map data for the Philippines.

In any case, the M5 featured here is also from the Philippines.

I was taking pictures of the car and by chance I got to meet up with the owner, asked about when he got this car and also asked him on what it was be one of LESS THAN TEN Filipinos to own an M5 F10

Eventually:
He plans to sell the car though and posted a link here:
http://www.philmotors.com/BMW-2012-Philippines8313.html

Going back though.......

I think one very plausible theory is that BMW uses the 8 inch screen for markets where BMW DOES NOT YET HAVE GPS SATNAV DATA.

As to why they do this, I'm not exactly sure.

One reason could be that it creates the necessary value and cost difference between this and 609 BMW Navigation Professional which includes the 10.2 inch screen especially in terms of production costs on the point-of-view of BMW as a manufacturer.

In a way, this is somewhat similar to what Lexus is doing for the 4th generation Lexus GS.

You have a 12.3 inch screen (which must be packaged with GPS Navigation)

and you also have an 8 inch screen (for countries without GPS navigation as well as markets which are price-sensitive/cost-sensitive AND for use in developed markets on base models and mid-end variants.........which reserve the 12.3 inch screen for top-of-the-line variant/s):

Something like that I guess.........
Appreciate 0