View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #19
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
I have an F10 M5 in Lebanon with no navigation but I still have the big screen (thank god I got lucky).
That's interesting. I guess you got lucky hehe

With that said, I'd like to know more info if I may.

1) When did you purchase your car?
2) Did you get to choose which features and options you want in your vehicle? Or were you required to buy whatever you local dealer offers and just pay a fixed/standard price?

Quote:
I have seen the M5s here with small screen.
Oh, I guess we're not alone then. So it looks like Germany, Philippines and Lebanon are some countries/territories where the small screen is the base equipment for M5 cars.

My guess is that BMW makes the 10.2 inch screen as a premium feature while the smaller screen is a base feature. It is then up to the local dealership to choose which screen they want their M5 cars to come with (depending on features-to-cost ratio, profit margin, marketability, market research, competition analysis, etc.)

I don't know if this still applies to newer builds (such as the first LCI units). Again, only BMW knows the answer.

Quote:
To be honest, the small screen is really ugly, makes the car look much cheaper from the inside. I'm not sure why though.
Personally, I wouldn't say that it's ugly.................but I would say that it is LACKING.

Sure, I'm happy the car has a display screen as standard (this is an E-segment/Executive car after all)............HOWEVER, I guess we feel that it is lacking simply because:

1) When the M5 F10 first made its WORLD PREMIERE at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, the car came with the 10.2 screen. In succeeding international auto shows, the M5 cars featured all had 10.2 screen. Official BMW press photos of the car came with the 10.2 screen.
2) And in relation to the first, the M5 is THE flagship model and representative of the 5 Series model range. Hence, we naturally expect for the 10.2 inch screen for ALL M5 cars WORLDWIDE............so to see a small screen from your barebones base model 520i or 520d on some M5 cars seems somewhat dismaying.......

But hey, I guess there are some people who just want an M5 at the lowest price possible. The ones that don't need luxury features but just want M5 performance.

I guess these base model features cater to those people..........I think.
Appreciate 0