09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Not to mention the fact that the iPhone 5 will have a different plug. So all of our chargers etc will be useless to it. Bastards!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Guys, if anyone is ordering or expecting the iPhone 5 i would wait on getting any parts for this connection. Apple is 99% expected to change the connector at the bottom of the phone which means all new accessories for everyone.. BMW will most likely need to change that piece to allow for the new smaller connector, there will be an adapter from apple to convert new to old but that will be clunky and messy. iPhone 5 due out either Sept 12th or 21st... stay tuned..
The adapter wouldn't necessarily be large. If you take a look at the MagSafe 2 to MagSafe 1 adapter to allow the chargers that come with their new laptops to work on their older laptops, it's barely any wider than the connector itself and incredibly thin; I suspect the same will be true here, so having a standard white Apple cable in the car plus a tiny adapter will allow you to charge both iPhone 5s and every other iDevice out there. The cradle would be another story entirely, of course, but you could use the cable I linked above plus the adapter if you really wanted to, though that whole solution would definitely be somewhat bulky -- and again, that assumes that the 4S cradle electronics will work with the 5 at all.

EDIT: Apple's Lightning adapters do not support video, so the above solution I proposed will not work to get the iPhone 5 transmitting video through the 4/4S Media cradle.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-17-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0