12-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
ConsumerFanatics
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this unless you're using a non-iPhone device. When using Lightning-to-USB from the iPhone, you're sending a true digital signal to the BMW unit and subsequently amplified by the B&O. This will be notably better sound quality than any re-amplified auxilliary output source IMHO.

Have you compared using the Dragonfly Red vs. streaming Bluetooth using high quality source material (e.g. 320kbps MP3 from Spotify or iPhone internal storage)?

Thanks,
Brad
IMO without knowing the specs of the B&O system, the DAC section of the DragonFly Red is better than the B&O system with the phone plugged into the USB. It just sounds better to me.

I have compared the DragonFly Red vs. streaming Bluetooth or iPhone internal using lossless FLAC files (16bit / 44.1 KHz), and the DFR plugged in via auxiliary is better.

YMMV. I just happen to have the DFR and tried it out and liked the results. I'm not trying to convince anyone to spend $200 just for this purpose. I use the DFR mainly with my headphones at work.

Last edited by ConsumerFanatics; 12-28-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0