Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
As much as BMW engine solutions are great and nearly every combination under the sun has been done, the s5X are simply not the most robust and cost effective track setup.

I too own an 318iS and separately an S54 M coupe that I enjoy on track. If I swap the E30 engine it will almost assuredly be for a lightweight and NA Honda K24 setup. I think it better keeps to the lightweight momentum car ethos. When I am at the track I want to spend all day lapping not hunting down problems or cooling struggles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Welcome to the E30 club. +1 on joining revlimited, it's one of the best E30 resources out there. I wouldn't do an M20; my E30 has a 2.9L stroker that I built in 2002 when M50 swaps were still pricey, and I wanted to keep it original. As much as I love my built motor, if I were in that same boat today I wouldn't think twice about doing an S54 swap and keeping it naturally aspirated. I have a friend who did an S52 swap, regretted not doing the S54, and is now doing the S54. It's one of BMWs best engines ever and it fits really well in an E30. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
As much as BMW engine solutions are great and nearly every combination under the sun has been done, the s5X are simply not the most robust and cost effective track setup.

I too own an 318iS and separately an S54 M coupe that I enjoy on track. If I swap the E30 engine it will almost assuredly be for a lightweight and NA Honda K24 setup. I think it better keeps to the lightweight momentum car ethos. When I am at the track I want to spend all day lapping not hunting down problems or cooling struggles.
I get you 100%, personally I can not fathom putting anything other than a BMW motor into it. Nevertheless I have seen a K swapped E36 at willow springs and the thing was a beast. Once the motor is out of the car I do not plan on keeping it stock but more so just building it to handle more than it will ever deliver, the deep BMW-bullet-proofing rabbit hole. Thank you for the info though I appreciate it immensely.

Have a great rest of the year,
Appreciate 0