12-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
You fail to understand the main advantage of a turbo car... the fantastic ability of it to have TQ down low. There is close to nothing that is as important as that for a car that is used as a daily driver. While the NA M engines are excellent; the S85 tended to make the car feel very very heavy unless you revved it to 8K and past. So if anything... the disadvantage to that for a car such as this which is supposed to be a dual mix of street ability and track performance this was missing. A heavy car (especially one that weighs 4000 LBS + needs to have TQ to make it fun and make it feel lighter on its feet). I think BMW and Mercedes both realized this and used to this to their advantage with the added fuel economy that these new engines will provide. You are only helping me prove my point that not everyone buys this car for racing because that is where the turbos come in with the TQ, that particular quality allows the car to pass in street traffic with ease as well as give it instantaneous thrust instead of having to revv the engine around the streets to sky high redlines.

I am curious as to what Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini the old M5 car whips up on? Yes, most of those cars have remained NA but they are also all far, far lighter and they are no ones daily driver; this is the other car in those people's garages. In addition those engines cost a fortune to make which is why they are reserved solely for exotics. The "better" porches including the GT2 RS (the greatest porsche ever) and the 911 Turbo and Turbo S models which are their best street cars ever are in fact turbo and performance wise (trump any of the others).

I fail to see what it is that you keep on arguing about; about 90% of the time you are helping me prove my point.
You act as though an s65/85 equipped car has nothing down low, it's still plenty to get around and pass someone, if you want the extra power then you shift, something that people who love to drive often love to do. I wouldn't say instantaneous thrust is happening either when you're dealing with turbo lag, I'll bet you can shift into a lower gear in a na car and hit power just as fast as a turbo car spools up.

I am all for the efficiency of turbo cars, but for someone who drives hard a turbo car is going to take just as much/more gas. My 335 actually averaged 1mpg lower than my m3.

Btw here's a couple videos you asked for:

Appreciate 0