Thread: F10 reliability
View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #7
AngryDog
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
E60 raised the bar with reliability? Compared to the F10 yes.

I was looking into an f10 as well. Coming from an e90 m3. If you cannot afford a rebuild, or spare engine. I probably wouldn’t do it.

The miles on the car don’t matter. As a matter of fact. Your probably better off with high miles, because if it lasted it probably has a good rotating assembly. And most likely has all maintenance (including injectors already replaced) Just do the rod bearings and you should be okay.
I meant unreliability

I managed to afford a rebuild on my E60 (there's the thick end of £15k I will never see again), whether or not I have the stomach to do it on an F10, not sure.

My E60 has less than 90k on it, given the finite life of turbo's etc, a lower miles one is more appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
The post 2013 engines are reliable. Most of the major problems are with (poorly) tuned engines. They are not cheap when maintenance is required beyond the routine stuff, but if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the routine maintenance and wear item costs. The S63T does not have a rod bearing problem (with above listed caveat)
I've not struggled to maintain my E60 so I feel that I should be able to maintain an F10 fairly well. I have just seen posts about weak roads that can bend at standard power, which is a bit concerning if I am being honest.

I am hoping that my budget will stretch to a later car, but what is the issue with the pre 2013 cars?

I've read posts about the bearings as well, and for the small cost of having them and the injectors changed, it's worth it given the price of new cranks / engines etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Overall you'll want to find a car that has a good service history and has been well taken care of. The most common issue that I've seen is turbo coolant lines failing but can be replaced easily. As for the tunes, you will want to make sure its been tuned by a proper tuning shop (there is a whole threads about this already). I'd highly recommend getting the car you want to buy inspected at a BMW dealer for a PPI (Private Purchase Inspection, it costs about $200 here in the states). From what I've seen, its very hard to find a 6 speed manual for these cars. But you could wait for one to pop up. I personally love the 7 speed DCT for how easy it is to use and how quick it shifts.
We didn't get the manual here in the UK, so only have the DCT as the default option. I'd be leaving it standard for a while, but eventually I'd look at a map from a reputable source, rather than using an OTS map etc.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Appreciate 0