09-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
The Miata is great but so small alot of people just do not fit in it. Porsche Boxsters and BMW Z3 or Z4's are worth looking for. I think VW GTI's and BMW 2 series handle well too.
I replaced my Miata with an M Coupe. The Z3 is tighter than the Miata. I'm 6'2" and fit fine in both. The Z4 was quite a bit roomier and just generally more composed than either.

Boxsters and Caymans are certainly quicker and have higher handling limits, but they're also 50% heavier and don't transition nearly as well, plus they're nearly 20" longer. On a truly tight road without longer straights, a Miata would most likely be quicker, and it would be easier to hustle through there too.

One note about Miatas though, they are very softly sprung from the factory. They have lots of body roll and pretty forgiving roll bars. A simple shock and spring upgrade with new sway bars and a decent set of brake pads and better fluid and they're much more capable. Plus parts are comically cheap when compared to heavier, more powerful cars.
Appreciate 1