x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x35250 View Post
With the stock map, there did not seem to be much difference between the three throttle modes. I wasn't able to get into WOT in Sport + because other traffic gets in the way pretty quickly! The IATs tend to get a bit higher in those modes, so I think the comparison becomes a bit harder. Most of the knock seems to take place at random under low load, so I'm not super concerned about them.

The AF ratio article makes sense. My car came with a better-flowing catback exhaust, so it can certainly affect fueling needs. Adding a catless or hi-flow downpipe would probably make that worse.

I ordered the NGK colder plugs to replace the OEM plugs. We'll see if that helps a bit with the timing values. The OEM plugs only have about 9k miles on them, but I want to see if it will reduce or eliminate the low-load knock and improve the ignition timing.

I still want to get a custom tune for my setup, but I'm torn whether to go back to the stock tune (which looks inferior) or stay on the OTS Stage 1 map. We'll see what it looks like once I install the colder plugs.

Again, my knowledge is a bit limited still. The F10 DMEs seem a bit more sophisticated than the Subaru ECU, but the principles are still the same. If any other veteran members want to chime in, that would be great.
My plan has always been to get a Stage 1 OTS tune and then eventually get a custom remote tune from a reputable source for F10 M5's while on a rented dyno. If going this route too, did you just purchase the BM3 with one map? The custom tune can still be loaded through the platform I believe? I would always want datalogging capability.
Yes, I just bought the license with one OTS map. Once you have the BM3 platform, you can request a custom tune through the app directly to many of the collaborative tuners. The Dashboard (live-monitoring) is pretty good and the Datalogging is great. You can enable Auto-Logging from the Dashboard based on throttle input, which enables you to log at whatever pedal percentage you choose on a sliding scale.

Datalogging and live-monitoring is an absolute must. Your tune can be perfect, but if you have any underling mechanical issues that cause you to run too lean or too hot, you can still break some expensive stuff.
Appreciate 0