01-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #116
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I'm not clear as to the specifics of what you are saying....

Are you saying that the Shell stations that are not near a Shell refinery are not selling Shell gas but instead sell whatever gas they found on the spot market that met the octane rating they wanted?

Or is Shell contracting with refineries they don't own to run a Shell process to make Shell gas with additives that Shell sends to the refinery for that purpose?
The base stock is identical. The "Shell" product doesn't actually get made until final blending (with additives). Typically there is only a "regular" and a "premium" base stock - to get mid-grade, they just mix them together.

I know for a fact that the local Shell refinery has a tank leased by Chevron that they use to blend their branded fuel to sell locally.

The additives are a tiny portion of what's actually in fuel. The difference between BP/Shell/Chevron/P66 is equally small. Which is why I stick with the places that have the best price and best maintenance.

Shell here costs $1.50 a gallon more for premium than Costco, and the equipment doesn't look like they've been touched in years (other than what is the minimum required by law). You can't tell me that doesn't add up.
Appreciate 0