03-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
The car gets used every day but lives outside.

I wash it weekly... and very rarely, almost never, do I dry the pads off after washing it by taking it for a quick drive (so it gets to 'stand' with wet pads and discs). I never use the handbrake/parking brake after washing the car, FWIW.

I haven't been paying for any of these sets of discs/pads, BMW Warranty has covered it; it's been an enduring issue since purchasing the car as AUC when it was 18 months old, last March. As part of the sale it was fitted with brand new front discs and pads by BMW Cooper, as the original front discs were showing minor cracking. The latest set of discs seem to be less judder-y than the previous two sets.

The problem seems to become evident after about 1000-1500 miles from fit, which is about six-seven weeks of use for my mileage.

In terms of how the car gets driven, not really very hard at all. I don't actually use the brakes much at all beyond a light to medium touch; commute during the week is a four miles along 30-40 limit roads and at the weekend I usually have my kids in the car. Of course, BMW Service probably don't believe me when I say that's how it gets used, although if they were to look at oil consumption they would see it is not being hammered everywhere. I assume the DME keeps a log of oil top up events, and it hasn't requested a top up for 6000 miles so far.

I've had tons of BMWs, including a previous F10 and a couple of other M cars. Never had a similar problem before.
I wonder if a mix of leaving them standing after washing and not using them properly is causing your issues.

Pads maybe transferring to the disc causing high spots and an out of balance feel, there is no way they are warping given you don't use them hard
Appreciate 0