04-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #17
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
Normally they are stuck, yes. I washed the car yesterday and went for a quick drive to 'dry' the brakes off. No binding this morning. Thinking back, it is funny you mention this because there was a time a couple of months ago when I didn't wash the car for about a month and the issue seemed to disappear.

To be honest, after this latest set of discs I was in two minds. I notice the juddering very occasionally and I suspect the issue is actually lessening with more miles on the brakes since fit. I noticed no problems at all this weekend and very nearly cancelled the appointment (but I have some corrosion around centre caps/exhaust tips so I want a decision on that from BMW UK warranty, anyway).

I just returned from a road test with a technician, he drove on various road surfaces using different brake pressure. He's confident that it is as it should be and it's safe.

I'm happy in that case, as I say, I was somewhat sat on the fence about it with this latest set of discs.

On the matter of using the brakes as they were intended: When they fitted this third set I was advised to be really gentle for the first 1000 miles. I did so, and have continued to be gentle. Perhaps I am being too gentle with them, now they are bedded in.
Yes you need to use them as intended and once in a while and it will help to keep the discs working properly, plus you will enjoy it!

A few hard stops from 70mph should clear any residue if its not too bad

Also if you drive the car hard then don't sit with the brakes on at traffic lights until they are cool as this can also make pad material stick to the discs
Appreciate 1