View Single Post
      12-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
BMW Haus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Production #0558583

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
My bias is that I like the 601s better, so I bought them. After having them for four months, I am even more convinced I made the right choice -- short of and $8K set of aftermarket wheels, these are the one visible thing that sets this car off as different from any other 5 body at any viewing distance. Given the color on the 601s, I think they would be the best looking wheels to put on SG.

The 343s are very nice, dont get me wrong, but they are available on 4 different BMW cars, and there are very similar 5 spoke designs on even more models of BMW -- The 601 is on the M5/6 CPs only -- meaning its not a wheel design seen that often. I dont notice the extra weight of the cast wheel, but not having owned a car with 343s ignorance is bliss.

As for the powder coating, I think black wheels definitely will give you more attention, but what is the full look you are going for? I like the black wheels on white/grey/SS because it provides contrast. On the dark colors, MCB, sing grey, etc. if you go black wheels then I would go the full murdered-out route, which at presetn is a bit problematic. To me, nothing looks worse than full black/ferric colored wheels with chrome grills, door handles, side vents, etc - it sends a mixed message to the viewers eye. Right now the problem with 14's is that there is no availability of black chrome accents, and only limited options/availability on blacking out door handles and front grills.
Too much logic here, ok you sold me on the 601s! I am going to keep my order as is. I really like having a wheel special to the M5. So many companies use the "trickle down" process with their models, and it drives me nuts. Although I can't complain, we are probable going to order my wife a X5d with the M sport pkg
Appreciate 0