United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 M5 and the manual states to only use 0w40 BMW Longlife-01 / FE. As an alternative, 0w-30 may be used.

I live in Northern California (hottest ~105f, coldest ~30f)

So far, I see that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W40 looks like a good option. Anyone else have any input on other brands? What about filters?

Why are different years of M5's allowing 5w40 as well but not 2016?

Thanks,
Raz
I run Mobil 1 0w-40 with good results. My oil consumption dropped as well. It's easily available anywhere and not overly expensive. I'd recommend sticking with 0w-40 for your climate.

I've always been a fan of Hengst brand filters. Never had an issue with them. They are made in Germany. You can't go wrong with an OE filter, either. I don't think they're overly expensive?

I don't recall hearing that 5w-40 or even 5w-30 was ever written in the owners manual. Many times you will see 5w-30 recommended online as it is the "twinpower turbo" whatever brand from BMW. That oil is actually for the inline 6 turbo engines IMO. Sure you can run a 5w oil in the S63, I just don't think it's a good idea on a stock bottom end unless your temperatures on cold start are routinely over 90-100F during the entire oil change interval.
In my car manual suggests 0w-30 or 0w-40 with alternatives to 5w-30 or 40. I drive a 2015 comp, wouldn't imagine anything with the comp pack affecting the oil recommendations but who knows. Personally I drive a lot and run castrol edge 0w-40 and do 5k miles on oil change. There are a lot of guys that have done longer than 5k and do tests with their oil changes. The one I'm thinking of he started at the dealer recommended 9k and changed it and said it came out almost black, sent it to black stone and had an oil analysis done and had a lot of material wear and contaminates in it. Went down to 7k still a good amount of wear. eventually made it down to 5k and 4k and the Blackstone analysis didn't change between them. So like another said, if you track it think about doing less but 5k is the sweet spot
Appreciate 0