View Single Post
      02-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
I went from an E46 325i to an E60 528i (both pretty fully optioned), and having test driven E9x and F3x (including M's), I just can't picture myself going back. My 5'er is more luxurious, more comfortable, better built, and more powerful.
There are many 3 Series, both past and present, that are "more powerful" than your E60 528i, including the M models you say that you have driven, so that comment seems a bit out of place.

The "better built" claim is also a bit suspect. Generally, build quality is fairly consistent across BMW's manufacturing facilities.

Furthermore, the comparison between an older E46 3 Series to a newer, subsequent generation E60 5 Series isn't apples/apples and would tend to skew results in favor of the 5 Series. A similarly inconsistent comparison of an E39 5 Series to a newer generation E90 3 Series may instead favor the latter, and at any rate could have an impact on the "more luxurious" and "more comfortable" qualities you mention. It's not necessarily the most informed way to compare product lines.

It would probably serve you well to go drive comparable models of today's contemporary G20 and G30 products. Certainly we can expect the more expensive 5 Series would have the advantage in premium appointments and comfort, while the lighter 3 Series would have the advantage in driving dynamics. But at least then you'll have up-to-date and consistent impressions on which to form your opinion.
Appreciate 0