View Single Post
      03-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

NYBimmerFan: There is some discussion over on the coding forum that quite a few things (and unexpected things) get written into a log file on one the modules. Things like destination and addresses used (that bewilder some as to why they would be there) and also 'indicators of change' like passive errors related to settng the max speed for allowing video to play. There has also been a post about the M5 phoning home on an error.

My suspicious is that the majority of logs and content are very verbose out of what I'll call laziness to not put a lot of effort into determining how much and what should be stored. That said, there is no guarantee that a networked device (including your car) won't send home a log that a human (or program) can determine has the fingerprints of you changing values in the already programmed modules on the car.

Short of you claiming that the car was dangerous and suing BMW over a feature you turned on that was off before you changed the coding value - I see little meaningful opportunity for BMW to claim that an engine failure was the result of you setting you automatic high beam for the headlights to "on" via coding.

There will be someone come along with a speech about magnussum-something-er-other in a minute, but we know we just don't like the hassle. No one can extend to you a guarantee but the likelihood of an issue dealing BMW is probably low [short of you claiming failure on a module that accidentally broke during a coding session].
Appreciate 0