Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
My M5 is almost back in my hands after it's initial list of fixes that CarMax is taking care of and I'm jonesing to take it out to the track.

Have any of you tracked yours? Which tracks? How were your times? Any stock faults that could be corrected with aftermarket parts?

Im a big fan of using a quality tire and fresh brake fluid as the starting point (aside from experience being the main contributing factor).

I'd love to see some pics and video of the M5 brethren laying it down.
I have yet to take mine to the track, but this is what I plan to do beforehand based on experience driving other street cars on tracks and based on what I've read about this car:

-Good tires. Most of us run some form of Pirelli or Michelin. I just mounted Michelin PS4S's a few thousand miles ago. Those will be excellent for a basic track day.

-Brake fluid flush and high quality fluid. A typical pre-track day maintenance item. Doesn't need to be done before each trip unless you know you've overheated the fluid during a session

-Brake pads. I've seen in reviews of the car that the stock brakes are not the best on the track. I would attribute most of that feedback to running a stock compound. The car is built for the street as general use and as such, the compound needs to match that usage. I recommend finding a good race pad to swap out. I haven't looked yet for our cars, but I've had great results with the Hawk HT-10's on my E39 M5.

Some people might recommend additional things like suspension mods but I suggest waiting on that until you've used the car on the track to know how it handles for you and see what you might want to improve, if anything.

Good luck

Last edited by technician117; 08-01-2019 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 2
1320racer133.00
94jedi829.00