M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
weetan
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Need help diagnosing CEL

Hey guys so I’ve been trying to chase down some problems with my car. I’m getting three codes.
- air volume too high
- pcv hose faulty or disconnected
- fuel mixture too rich on both banks
I have replaced just about everything it seems like.
I’ve replaced:
- pcv hoses
- spark plugs and ignition coils
- high pressure fuel pumps
- injectors
- down stream O2 sensors
The car has been smoke tested multiple times with no leaks. I removed the tune and the dinan intake with no luck as well. The car has stock downpipes. If anyone has a clue what this could be it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 06:27 AM   #2
KurtsM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 w/ DPs, BM3 stage 2

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [8.80]
Upstream 02 sensors?
Appreciate 2
weetan4.50
M5Rick66625.00
      08-08-2024, 06:58 AM   #3
weetan
Rep

I ohmed out the upstream and they seemed good still. 3-4 ohms on each bank. I got 10 ohms for the downstreams so I replaced those.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66625.00
      08-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #4
Grantgkg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé, F10 M5

Remove the mass air flow meters and see if they are covered in oil, clean them off with mass air flow cleaner. you also replaced the fuel injectors, did you use the correct fuel injectors? because you can get EU6 or EU5. If you installed the incorrect ones for the DME you can get some strange issues. The EU6 injectors have all the same calibration numbers {215}. The EU5 injectors have variable injector calibrations and those numbers will have be be changed in the dme's to make them work properly. Let me know your findings.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66625.00
      08-10-2024, 03:52 PM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Replaced practically everything, what year is the M5 ?
Appreciate 1
weetan4.50
      08-11-2024, 01:48 AM   #6
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Try cleaning both MAF’s with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. When was the last time you replaced your air filters? Do you have an intake? If so, buy new filters instead of just cleaning them. Lastly, check to be sure the connections on the PCV’s are tight. If all this fails, then buy new MAF’s and check the inlet side of both turbos.

You have an air flow issue. So anything related needs to be replaced during troubleshooting. You did all the hardest and most expensive stuff already.
Appreciate 1
weetan4.50
      08-15-2024, 09:14 AM   #7
weetan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Replaced practically everything, what year is the M5 ?
It’s a 2012 imported from Canada.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66625.00
      08-15-2024, 09:15 AM   #8
weetan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgkg View Post
Remove the mass air flow meters and see if they are covered in oil, clean them off with mass air flow cleaner. you also replaced the fuel injectors, did you use the correct fuel injectors? because you can get EU6 or EU5. If you installed the incorrect ones for the DME you can get some strange issues. The EU6 injectors have all the same calibration numbers {215}. The EU5 injectors have variable injector calibrations and those numbers will have be be changed in the dme's to make them work properly. Let me know your findings.
Since the car is a 2012 they were replaced with eu5s.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 09:19 AM   #9
weetan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Try cleaning both MAF’s with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. When was the last time you replaced your air filters? Do you have an intake? If so, buy new filters instead of just cleaning them. Lastly, check to be sure the connections on the PCV’s are tight. If all this fails, then buy new MAF’s and check the inlet side of both turbos.

You have an air flow issue. So anything related needs to be replaced during troubleshooting. You did all the hardest and most expensive stuff already.
I have a dinan intake and the filters were just recently replaced once I started having this issue. I’ve cleaned the mafs but it might be time for new ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 07:43 AM   #10
JLOA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetan View Post
Hey guys so I’ve been trying to chase down some problems with my car. I’m getting three codes.
- air volume too high
- pcv hose faulty or disconnected
- fuel mixture too rich on both banks
I have replaced just about everything it seems like.
I’ve replaced:
- pcv hoses
- spark plugs and ignition coils
- high pressure fuel pumps
- injectors
- down stream O2 sensors
The car has been smoke tested multiple times with no leaks. I removed the tune and the dinan intake with no luck as well. The car has stock downpipes. If anyone has a clue what this could be it would be greatly appreciated.
my 2014 m5 comp started running really rough last month, I started changing everything like you did and also cleaned my MAF sensors. My car would stall out of nowhere and rpm was bouncing around while idle, well I ordered two new MAF sensors and after driving it for 10 mins the car runs like new.. I also ordered them from rock auto.com cause dealer wanted alot of money for them
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66625.00
      08-22-2024, 04:37 PM   #11
weetan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOA View Post
my 2014 m5 comp started running really rough last month, I started changing everything like you did and also cleaned my MAF sensors. My car would stall out of nowhere and rpm was bouncing around while idle, well I ordered two new MAF sensors and after driving it for 10 mins the car runs like new.. I also ordered them from rock auto.com cause dealer wanted alot of money for them
It was the mafs. Don’t know what caused them to crap out but replacing them worked. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
KurtsM5232.00