M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Catless Downpipe with / without tune?

So to pair up with my
(budget saving) turner motorsport "race inspired" exhaust,

i am in search for Catless DP for ultimate beast mode and HP boost up…

but also i am not planning to tune the car anytime soon, so the question is will theses carless down pipe require tunes?
and also any references?

THanks so much
      03-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

None require tunes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

really? not what I heard or understood... the reason the management system cuts in and warnings appear is because they have not been reprogrammed/retuned to cope with the changes made by catless DPs.... have I got that wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
really? not what I heard or understood... the reason the management system cuts in and warnings appear is because they have not been reprogrammed/retuned to cope with the changes made by catless DPs.... have I got that wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
None require tunes.
Well,
after searching and doing browse,
i believe that most people here will say they have CEL, since they are mostly located in the US, where the BMW itself programmed the O2 sensors to be more sensitive (i might be wrong, correct me)

but as i am in indonesia, i get euro spec, where I believe the "sensitive-ness level" is reduced?
      03-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

There are no tunes available to begin with.
      03-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
JoeyLeeBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW ///M6 Alpine White

Garage List
RPI's downpipe hands down! 304 Tig Welded SS

2014 BMW ///M6 Coupe "Competition Package" CLICK: Intro Thread Pictures

l Vorsteiner CA Demo Car l Toyo Tires l Trinity Autosport l Targa Trophy l Shift S3ctor
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyLeeBMW View Post
RPI's downpipe hands down! 304 Tig Welded SS
will not light CEL?
      04-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Yes it will. All of them will at some point except the stock modified version that spinny has.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Cars with catless DPs and no tune usually run like utter crap. I'm amazed that people with catless DPs don't complain much about the change of the driveability of their cars. I wouldn't reduce that much of exhaust back pressure unless there is a supporting tune for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Cars with catless DPs and no tune usually run like utter crap. I'm amazed that people with catless DPs don't complain much about the change of the driveability of their cars. I wouldn't reduce that much of exhaust back pressure unless there is a supporting tune for it.
Not true bud. Mine runs great as does some of the other guys who run the same set up. Where are you getting your info from. I don't think any of us here has complained about the way our cars run. If I had a problem it would have been fixed from day one.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Not true bud. Mine runs great as does some of the other guys who run the same set up. Where are you getting your info from. I don't think any of us here has complained about the way our cars run. If I had a problem it would have been fixed from day one.
My friend i have experience with turbo cars.
Simply speaking, with catless downpipes you face two problems. The first problem is the airflow characteristics. There is a table written inside the DME that tells the DME when to open/close the wastegates and by how much. With OEM exhaust the DME only needs to some minor adjustment to the data it receives from the table. However, when you switch to catless downpipes the table is not as accurate as before. Therefore the DME is always calculating the big adjustment needed for the parameters it receives from the table and the whole adjustment is not as instant as before.
The second problem is the AFR. With no cats in place ECU think the O2 sensor has failed and as a result it richens the mixture to protect the engine from detonation.

Now the advanced electronics used in your car might tone down these issues but they are still there.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I realize the engine has to recalculate for the diff in parts, but w/in that diff the car still runs fine. Until they come out with a proper tune there is nothing we can do to adjust any parameters that are out of spec. We all know that sucks.
Appreciate 0