M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

New Daily 1st time manual driver too lol

LOL so I had been driving a 2jz-GE is300 with 246k miles as a daily, I ended up picking up a 2016 STI, and giving the IS300 to a friend in need.

But yes the title read that correctly lol I had, had roughly 10 miles of experience on a manual prior to two weeks ago, being an ex from a few years ago who showed me a few things on a Civic Si..

Needless to say it was a show the first night, lol I stalled out the second light next to the dealer lol rolled into a parking lot not before being laughed at by the people at the bus stopped and flicked off and honked into submission by three other people behind me lol

Then had a friend come get me and take me 40 miles from home at 12am and I managed to get 4 miles away from home without stalling before I started rolling backwards [while being honked at], until a policeman was curious WTF I was actually doing lol.

Needless to say now I'm much better and have done about 2k miles of practice in 2 weeks, hills are a little sketchy but clearly its not impossible

Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

I had similar experience many years back when a good fren passed me a 9 year old rust bucket with a stick. My prior experience was a few driving lessons . I got my driver's license in California during college and it's so easy to get a driver's license over there. Back where I am, it's a grueling experience and ranks among a person's big achievements in life. These days, it gets a bit easier as drivers could opt to take an Auto-only license, which would forbid them to drive stick shifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post

I had similar experience many years back when a good fren passed me a 9 year old rust bucket with a stick. My prior experience was a few driving lessons . I got my driver's license in California during college and it's so easy to get a driver's license over there. Back where I am, it's a grueling experience and ranks among a person's big achievements in life. These days, it gets a bit easier as drivers could opt to take an Auto-only license, which would forbid them to drive stick shifts.
Yeah we don't have manual only licenses which honestly given my experience that first day, you probably should, because rolling back, stalling out, etc. is pretty dangers...

Even still like having to make instant decisions, but also trying to work the clutch into all that should require a lot more practice, etc. than just being able to purchase the vehicle than it does on this side of the pond.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Brought back fond memories of me borrowing my dads MT e28 533i and teaching myself how to drive a stick.

Welcome to the fun
      07-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8C Coupe

Manual is fun. My next car would be definitely manual.. your post reminds me 30 years ago when I was a teenager and used to steal my dad's car
Anyways congratulation and I would like to say " Smart move"
Gone : 2016 F82 Austin Yellow M4 Competition - 6MT
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Anyways congratulation and I would like to say " Smart move"
lol I guess it was smart hahah, I almost rolled into the GTR tonight in the driveway lol.

Smart is subjective here, but I've gotten much better, and enjoy having a really tossable car again.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
bigtex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - sold

I learned how to drive a manual when I was a kid in an area where there were a lot of hills. I was constantly worried about rolling backwards at the start. What worked for me was to set the hand brake. This allowed me to focus my feet on the clutch and gas only. As I was easing off the clutch and giving it gas I would slowly release the handbrake. Never rolled backwards. Once you master the art it will become second nature, but until then the hand brake may become your new best friend on hills. Give it a shot. Have fun and best of luck!
      07-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
I learned how to drive a manual when I was a kid in an area where there were a lot of hills. I was constantly worried about rolling backwards at the start. What worked for me was to set the hand brake. This allowed me to focus my feet on the clutch and gas only. As I was easing off the clutch and giving it gas I would slowly release the handbrake. Never rolled backwards. Once you master the art it will become second nature, but until then the hand brake may become your new best friend on hills. Give it a shot. Have fun and best of luck!
Yeah it was major flooding here, the Sti really is an amazing car, not since the Raptor have I had that much confidence in a cars ability in bad weather.

I tried the handbrake once and it was very helpful. I think I'll probably start doing it more in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
s62
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yellow

You could find a piece of road or parking that is not flat and practice finding the clutch grab point. Let the car roll back at 1-2 mph, keep the rpm at, say, 1200 and release the clutch only to the point where the car stops rolling. Push clutch in and repeat. Try with higher rpm too. The goal is to be able to do the stop from rolling back as quickly as possible from the time you start releasing the clutch. You can then practice moving forward once you have stopped it from rolling. Add the 2 separate pieces together and you have that handled. Then adding the parking brake on top of that would give you the extra safety on very steep hills. If you were close to NNJ I would have shown you myself.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz250.50