M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

05-24-2024, 03:39 PM   #1
burple
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Lightbulb Fixed my F10 M5 Smoke Issue - 5 Months of Trying Paid Off

I know this is a common issue with our cars, and my case and fix won't be comparable to everyone else and their issue. I just wanted to throw this option out there for anyone struggling with the smoke issue.

Car: 2013 BMW F10 M5. Catless DP's, VRSF charge pipes, filter delete, mhd stage 1. 78,xxx miles, 2nd owner of the vehicle. First put 40,xxx miles on it with impeccable service reports.

Issue: White (possibly blueish) smoke at idle after warm and at first take off. Once car would get warm (not even full op temp) I would start to get a small but noticeable amount of smoke out of both sides. When I would take off it would be pretty heavy up until I got into 20-30 mph range and then subside until I would come to a stop again. I had flashed a stage 2 MHD tune towards the beginning of the issue but didnt' feel any change so I quickly reverted to stock tune. I flashed back to stage 1 after this didn't change the issue. I was getting a Lean Condition on bank 1 CEL Code so I did the MAF changes and smoke tested the intakes and all that with nothing. I do know the culprit to this problem from what I was seeing in my logs was messing with my LTFT and STFT a lot and I was certain I had a vacuum leak but couldn't find it anywhere. I was also getting almost no boost when the trims were messed up. Trims would normalize as I accelerated but would skyrocket when less gas was applied. Image attached

Oil changes with LM Engine Flush and LM Ceratec every 3,000 miles (molygen 0x40 LL-01) all OE replacement parts except mods. I am very maint. heavy on this vehicle since I do drive it not as an intentional daily driver, but I pick it a lot to drive bc we all know why. Excellent Blackstone oil analysis every oil change.

Things I have tried to avoid by going into the dealership for the dreaded cost of valve seals, or anything valves, injectors, coolant in the oil, and so on.:

-CRC Intake and turbo cleaning (Did so to an absolute minimum. Did not do a whole can type of try at it) seemed to have helped for a short time.

-Tried running Berryman B12 every time for about 4 fill-ups (didn't see much improvement.)

-Tried another fuel additive Liqui Molly DI-Jectron (this did a great job of cleaning up the smoke and gave the engine a noticeable power gain) I could still tell it was happening though not as much.

-Tried flashing back to stock but did not seem to alleviate the issue.

-Replaced the MAF sensors with Bosch OE sensors. No change

-o2 sensors were always consistent so I didn't change

-Installed new PCV's on both banks - No Change

-Changed out the MAP sensors - No change

-Changed out the original plastic charge pipes with VRSF ones (thinking for sure this would get my ratio and trims back on track) - No change but checked turbos at this point which looked excellent with no oil

I had all but about given up on this vehicle bc ISTA wasn't helping get me on track, and I was bout to take the plunge into a newer m5. I started to see everyone using the scan tool Launch X431 2.0 BMW the one that sits horizontal not verticle, and has Android 8.0 in case anyone is looking at them. I bought it and I started using it to reset all the systems (ones that I knew I could without bricking the car) and focused more this time on the injectors and timing and resetting all those systems.

Doing all the automated testing I could on the fuel delivery system, and I can say after 3 days I have No more smoke and it has brought back my boost pressures. The car running like it did when I first got her. I don't know what settings or if my tunes had messed something up along the way, but I'm so glad I am not shelling out the $8,000+ for anything valve, turbo, or motor related.

I know this is long but I couldn't find any success stories on this issue and thought I would throw my issue and resolution out there. I know this is very specific and was a long shot try, but I hope this helps one of you get your ride back.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KurtsM5227.50
      05-25-2024, 10:22 PM   #2
B58
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Junk

So you reset all adaptations and it fixed your issue?
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66604.00
      07-20-2024, 07:15 AM   #3
KurtsM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 w/ DPs, BM3 stage 2

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [8.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burple View Post
I know this is a common issue with our cars, and my case and fix won't be comparable to everyone else and their issue. I just wanted to throw this option out there for anyone struggling with the smoke issue.

Car: 2013 BMW F10 M5. Catless DP's, VRSF charge pipes, filter delete, mhd stage 1. 78,xxx miles, 2nd owner of the vehicle. First put 40,xxx miles on it with impeccable service reports.

Issue: White (possibly blueish) smoke at idle after warm and at first take off. Once car would get warm (not even full op temp) I would start to get a small but noticeable amount of smoke out of both sides. When I would take off it would be pretty heavy up until I got into 20-30 mph range and then subside until I would come to a stop again. I had flashed a stage 2 MHD tune towards the beginning of the issue but didnt' feel any change so I quickly reverted to stock tune. I flashed back to stage 1 after this didn't change the issue. I was getting a Lean Condition on bank 1 CEL Code so I did the MAF changes and smoke tested the intakes and all that with nothing. I do know the culprit to this problem from what I was seeing in my logs was messing with my LTFT and STFT a lot and I was certain I had a vacuum leak but couldn't find it anywhere. I was also getting almost no boost when the trims were messed up. Trims would normalize as I accelerated but would skyrocket when less gas was applied. Image attached

Oil changes with LM Engine Flush and LM Ceratec every 3,000 miles (molygen 0x40 LL-01) all OE replacement parts except mods. I am very maint. heavy on this vehicle since I do drive it not as an intentional daily driver, but I pick it a lot to drive bc we all know why. Excellent Blackstone oil analysis every oil change.

Things I have tried to avoid by going into the dealership for the dreaded cost of valve seals, or anything valves, injectors, coolant in the oil, and so on.:

-CRC Intake and turbo cleaning (Did so to an absolute minimum. Did not do a whole can type of try at it) seemed to have helped for a short time.

-Tried running Berryman B12 every time for about 4 fill-ups (didn't see much improvement.)

-Tried another fuel additive Liqui Molly DI-Jectron (this did a great job of cleaning up the smoke and gave the engine a noticeable power gain) I could still tell it was happening though not as much.

-Tried flashing back to stock but did not seem to alleviate the issue.

-Replaced the MAF sensors with Bosch OE sensors. No change

-o2 sensors were always consistent so I didn't change

-Installed new PCV's on both banks - No Change

-Changed out the MAP sensors - No change

-Changed out the original plastic charge pipes with VRSF ones (thinking for sure this would get my ratio and trims back on track) - No change but checked turbos at this point which looked excellent with no oil

I had all but about given up on this vehicle bc ISTA wasn't helping get me on track, and I was bout to take the plunge into a newer m5. I started to see everyone using the scan tool Launch X431 2.0 BMW the one that sits horizontal not verticle, and has Android 8.0 in case anyone is looking at them. I bought it and I started using it to reset all the systems (ones that I knew I could without bricking the car) and focused more this time on the injectors and timing and resetting all those systems.

Doing all the automated testing I could on the fuel delivery system, and I can say after 3 days I have No more smoke and it has brought back my boost pressures. The car running like it did when I first got her. I don't know what settings or if my tunes had messed something up along the way, but I'm so glad I am not shelling out the $8,000+ for anything valve, turbo, or motor related.

I know this is long but I couldn't find any success stories on this issue and thought I would throw my issue and resolution out there. I know this is very specific and was a long shot try, but I hope this helps one of you get your ride back.

I bought an X431. Can you be more specific about what/how you reset the adaptations? I haven't plugged it into the car yet.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66604.00
      07-21-2024, 04:54 AM   #4
KurtsM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 w/ DPs, BM3 stage 2

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [8.80]
This x431 thing is pretty damn cool!

Appreciate 1
M5Rick66604.00