M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #199
Mgone
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
So you shipped your ECUs to Belgium?
NO,we sent the files and just waited, under 3hrs it was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden View Post
Hmm, does not look that fast to me sorry For a stage 1 tune you should be doing 100-200 in low 6s and 60-130 mph i mid mid-high 7! I see on speedo that 60-130 takes like 9+
it should be under 9 if it was a straight Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedna View Post
I think he is in manuals,there is a very big lag between each gear!
Yes Manual is more fun,
here is a race on 45mph between DCT and Manual both was on JB BMS tune

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #200
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgone View Post
NO,we sent the files and just waited, under 3hrs it was done.

it should be under 9 if it was a straight Road.

Yes Manual is more fun,
here is a race on 45mph between DCT and Manual both was on JB BMS tune

Still for 700+ hp at crank it's not that fast anyway, could be something to do with altitude weather etc But nice pull on that DCT M5 LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #201
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfelunden View Post
Still for 700+ hp at crank it's not that fast anyway, could be something to do with altitude weather etc But nice pull on that DCT M5 LOL

im in New Jersey and right now for the past weeks temps gng at 90+ degrees and humid. and sucks after 2-4 pulls in the weather, the car becomes a turtle. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:36 AM   #202
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Been running Stage 1+ for almost 2K miles...

Had issues the minute I had it flashed, but that wasn't tune related...

Rewind...

I've had a JB3 in the car since about 13K miles, never had an issue... drove through all types of climates (6500 mile cali>miami>nyc trip), and it ran great. 23K got downpipes, 26K got new spark plugs - fast forward to 37K I was experiencing very minor choking at WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, and if I kept pushing it, DTMF. Misfiring in bank 1, mainly cyl. 3

Pulled the JB3 out and drove around without any issues, as hard as I pushed it, nothing. Following week got the Stage 1+ BR flash, first drive - insane pick up, but I couldn't give it more than 50% throttle on anything higher than 2nd gear (6MT btw) without getting DTMF. Wasn't concerned because I knew it was either the plugs, the coils, or the injectors...

Took it in for service w/ the flash, FASTA wouldn't grant replacement of spark plugs or coilpacks without reflashing the DME's...

(disregard the blue highlights - those are all prototype headlight related )

So yeah, still looks like Bank 1, but now in every cylinder.

I knew that wouldn't solve my issue so I took the car back as-is and replaced the plugs myself... the car drove and responded like an animal.. simply mind blowing... till I got on the highway and did some more pulls. I rowed through gears without any issues, the pick up was face stretching.

After cruising at 60 in 3rd for a little, I punched it and felt baby chokes, the same ones I felt the day my JB3 was causing the car to give out. I kept pushing through till I got a DTMF... restarted the car (while cruising at 60), and decided to do a WOT from 2nd all the way up to about 145, not a single issue... moved like a fucking train.

After a 500 mile trip to VA and back to NYC... I realized that the choking would ONLY happen in 3rd under WOT, if I did 10-90% throttle, no issues... but the second I WOT above 4K RPM, the choking would occur, if I let off that 10%, it would stop choking and keep moving smoothly.

Ran the faults the following day, and all I got was a 190302 (fuel tank ventilation system and purge air system, microleak leakage larger than 0.5mm) & 213601(power management standby current violation).

Ok... delayed my service appointment for a while to get the fuel breather fixed.

Still gotta rule those 2 faults out... however, recently... it started misfiring again on me in 2nd AND 3rd, with several DTMF, along with a check engine light.

Gunna run for faults tomorrow, but this time around... my guess is either the coilpacks, or fuel pump, maybe possibly even the battery?

-
-
-
Now with my experience from installing COBB & BMS's on N54/N55's for the last 4-5 years, I know that the life expectancy on the plugs/coils and in some cases injectors is cut in nearly by half, and more so for the aggressive daily drivers.

That is why the guys at COBB and Terry will always tell you that the issues only derive from the increased power, causing faster wear to our ignition components, and they're right. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of finding out what exactly will fail, in which order, and how soon with over boosted S63tu's

It's only a matter of 10K miles till everyone who got a flashed this year ("dyno tune y0") starts to experience the same issues, unless preventative measures had been taken... such as; being informed that you will need to perform a service on x, y, z, parts every xK miles or just simply providing some product education so the customer is aware of the issues, and solutions, and let them decided if they want to deal with the future issues/responsibilities.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #203
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
I'm 10000 miles on my BR tune.. I've had one dtmal in all that time about 4000 miles ago.
I had a tech rub a diagnostic on my car last week - I didn't have a single code worth being concerned about.
If you have these issues I assume it's your tune.. But you know already that a piggy is equally gonna mess with your coils and spark plugs..definitely a fine line between love and hate..
Hope it works out in the end.
      08-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #204
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post

Had issues the minute I had it flashed, but that wasn't tune related...

Rewind...

I've had a JB3 in the car since about 13K miles, never had an issue... drove through all types of climates (6500 mile cali>miami>nyc trip), and it ran great. 23K got downpipes, 26K got new spark plugs - fast forward to 37K I was experiencing very minor choking at WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, and if I kept pushing it, DTMF. Misfiring in bank 1, mainly cyl. 3

Pulled the JB3 out and drove around without any issues, as hard as I pushed it, nothing. Following week got the Stage 1+ BR flash, first drive - insane pick up, but I couldn't give it more than 50% throttle on anything higher than 2nd gear (6MT btw) without getting DTMF. Wasn't concerned because I knew it was either the plugs, the coils, or the injectors...

Took it in for service w/ the flash, FASTA wouldn't grant replacement of spark plugs or coilpacks without reflashing the DME's...

(disregard the blue highlights - those are all prototype headlight related )

So yeah, still looks like Bank 1, but now in every cylinder.

I knew that wouldn't solve my issue so I took the car back as-is and replaced the plugs myself... the car drove and responded like an animal.. simply mind blowing... till I got on the highway and did some more pulls. I rowed through gears without any issues, the pick up was face stretching.

After cruising at 60 in 3rd for a little, I punched it and felt baby chokes, the same ones I felt the day my JB3 was causing the car to give out. I kept pushing through till I got a DTMF... restarted the car (while cruising at 60), and decided to do a WOT from 2nd all the way up to about 145, not a single issue... moved like a fucking train.

After a 500 mile trip to VA and back to NYC... I realized that the choking would ONLY happen in 3rd under WOT, if I did 10-90% throttle, no issues... but the second I WOT above 4K RPM, the choking would occur, if I let off that 10%, it would stop choking and keep moving smoothly.

Ran the faults the following day, and all I got was a 190302 (fuel tank ventilation system and purge air system, microleak leakage larger than 0.5mm) & 213601(power management standby current violation).

Ok... delayed my service appointment for a while to get the fuel breather fixed.

Still gotta rule those 2 faults out... however, recently... it started misfiring again on me in 2nd AND 3rd, with several DTMF, along with a check engine light.

Gunna run for faults tomorrow, but this time around... my guess is either the coilpacks, or fuel pump, maybe possibly even the battery?

-
-
-
Now with my experience from installing COBB & BMS's on N54/N55's for the last 4-5 years, I know that the life expectancy on the plugs/coils and in some cases injectors is cut in nearly by half, and more so for the aggressive daily drivers.

That is why the guys at COBB and Terry will always tell you that the issues only derive from the increased power, causing faster wear to our ignition components, and they're right. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of finding out what exactly will fail, in which order, and how soon with over boosted S63tu's

It's only a matter of 10K miles till everyone who got a flashed this year ("dyno tune y0") starts to experience the same issues, unless preventative measures had been taken... such as; being informed that you will need to perform a service on x, y, z, parts every xK miles or just simply providing some product education so the customer is aware of the issues, and solutions, and let them decided if they want to deal with the future issues/responsibilities.

Damn, Igor i ddnt know you had these many problems im on my 2500 miles since the tune and so far no problem. Hope Anthony S/A hooks it up for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #205
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
Quote:

There actually is a solution for the powercut.. If ofcourse the hardware at the engine bay is working properly! You're not the first guy experiencing problems with a flash tune, many out there has fuelcuts.

I had the same in my Alpina B3S (FBO + vtt stage 2 - n54 engine), when there wasn't enough fuel the ignition would just cut off resulting in a CEL..

Now in my M5, NO issues at all, actually waiting for the JB4 to reach me so we can custom tune my car (on the road) by using the datalogging system of the JB4!
Would be nice with a log of your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #206
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Igor are you running downpipes with the stage I tune? If you are I hate to say this but it sounds like the timing on the tune is too low.. Boots had a similar issue but he was running the stage II. In the end he went to Eurocharged down in Houston and claims that the timing issues were resolved and the car has run ever since. Sorry to hear you've had all these issue..
      08-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #207
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Igor are you running downpipes with the stage I tune? If you are I hate to say this but it sounds like the timing on the tune is too low.. Boots had a similar issue but he was running the stage II. In the end he went to Eurocharged down in Houston and claims that the timing issues were resolved and the car has run ever since. Sorry to hear you've had all these issue..
It's "Stage 1+" slightly modified/detuned Stage 2 , and if the issue was timing on the tune, then others would have the same issues, but they don't... everyone running this flash has zero issues, but have half the millage I have.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #208
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
It's "Stage 1+" slightly modified/detuned Stage 2 , and if the issue was timing on the tune, then others would have the same issues, but they don't... everyone running this flash has zero issues, but have half the millage I have.
Dude, I've run my tune for 10k miles ...
      08-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #209
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
a lot of people had problems with br tune with stage 2, including me and issue was not the timing, in my tune timing was not even adjusted and i had same issues, i did run bms for 15k miles and had 0 problems with coils/sparks
i had issues with br tune for 4 months and i flashed back to stock and then got tune from Manic Motorsport, been running ever since with 0 issues
also got into "200" club and with br i could barely get over 140-150
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #210
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
a lot of people had problems with br tune with stage 2, including me and issue was not the timing, in my tune timing was not even adjusted and i had same issues, i did run bms for 15k miles and had 0 problems with coils/sparks
i had issues with br tune for 4 months and i flashed back to stock and then got tune from Manic Motorsport, been running ever since with 0 issues

Yah. Damn. I dnt want to know the problems im crossing my fingers so far so good on my
End.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #211
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude, I've run my tune for 10k miles ...
How many miles on your car so far? I think you might have missed the key points I made in my previous post.

1. I ran JB3 from 13,000 Miles to 37,000 Miles
2. I began having misfires in cyl. 3 with JB3 at 37,000 Miles
3. I had no issues without JB3
4. I flashed to BR at 37,500 Miles
5. I resumed having issues and then some because I was pushing more power than with just JB3
6. I replaced spark plugs... had almost no issues, very minimal

So... that clearly shows component failure. I'll go run the current codes right now to see if anything new comes up. I'm almost positive its my coilpacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
I know a lot of people had issues with Stage 2, the only safe way to run Stage 2 is to run meth or face fuel full time. Thats why BR detuned stage 2 and came up with "Stage 1+" for the guys with downpipes.... Almost every S63tu I know of locally, is running S1+, with the exception of middlyman who's running Stage 2 with a Aquamist setup full time.

Mgone 's M5 is nearly identical to mine with the exception that he has about 18K miles less than me (2013 6MT with Fabworx downpipes), and he's running on the same flash as my car is.

My car has ZERO issues with reaching 200, even with my baby chokes here and there, I've hit 160 faster than I ever could stock or with jb3, and I could keep going, but I just haven't had the opportunity to go further recently, I don't necessarily like to PLAN my 200mph achievement... lol

I'll go ahead and run the codes and report back. My car is going in next Monday for a new battery and to check the valve leak. If I'm still having issues, I'll go ahead and pick up a new set of coilpacks. If I'm still misfiring in cyl. 3... it's DEF the coilpack.

PS. Of 39K current miles on my car, about 35K of those miles were all REALLY hard driving miles... I wouldn't give this car to my worst enemy as a second owner. I bounce off my limiter on daily basis, and I power slide this whore on every turn I get, I go through tires every 5K miles, had my brake pads replaced about 18 times, and my rotors 3 times... so I dont baby this shit. But I know for a fact that neither does Mgone and he's not having any issues so far (at 18,000 miles).

Last edited by Igor_M5; 08-26-2015 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #212
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
How many miles on your car so far? I think you might have missed the key points I made in my previous post.

5. I resumed having issues and then some because I was pushing more power than with just JB3

So... that clearly shows component failure. I'll go run the current codes right now to see if anything new comes up. I'm almost positive its my coilpacks.

I know a lot of people had issues with Stage 2, the only safe way to run Stage 2 is to run meth or face fuel full time. Thats why BR detuned stage 2 and came up with "Stage 1+" for the guys with downpipes.... Almost every S63tu I know of locally, is running S1+, with the exception of middlyman who's running Stage 2 with a Aquamist setup full time.

Mgone 's M5 is nearly identical to mine with the exception that he has about 18K miles less than me (2013 6MT with Fabworx downpipes), and he's running on the same flash as my car is.

My car has ZERO issues with reaching 200, even with my baby chokes here and there, I've hit 160 faster than I ever could stock or with jb3, and I could keep going, but I just haven't had the opportunity to go further recently, I don't necessarily like to PLAN my 200mph achievement... lol

I'll go ahead and run the codes and report back. My car is going in next Monday for a new battery and to check the valve leak. If I'm still having issues, I'll go ahead and pick up a new set of coilpacks. If I'm still misfiring in cyl. 3... it's DEF the coilpack.

PS. Of 39K current miles on my car, about 35K of those miles were all REALLY hard driving miles... I wouldn't give this car to my worst enemy as a second owner. I bounce off my limiter on daily basis, and I power slide this whore on every turn I get, I go through tires every 5K miles, had my brake pads replaced about 18 times, and my rotors 3 times... so I dont baby this shit. But I know for a fact that neither does Mgone and he's not having any issues so far (at 18,000 miles).
Understood. Hope it all works out.
      08-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #213
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fucking zylinder 3! Thirsty motherf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #214
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Yes thats true!!!

I bought the car in March 2015 sat in dealer for a month getting clutch n flywheels from previous owner ( note that i only put 500 miles into the car when this happened) at mile marker 2300 in odometer. After that 4 months later were at 18k miles note this is not my daily its just my weekend toy or rally,fun run car and it accumulated miles like no other. Lol. But its "all hiway miles" lmao!

Did igor said he powerslides every turn?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #215
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

My Br tune= problems. Got rid of it. My Eurocharged tune= badazz. Customer service #1. 0 and I mean 0 issues!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #216
13M5F10
Hide! My wife's coming!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 | MSR Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
My Br tune= problems. Got rid of it. My Eurocharged tune= badazz. Customer service #1. 0 and I mean 0 issues!
I'm scheduled in two weeks :-) hope you're right. I'll hit you up before, would like to sit in your car and check it out before I make it happen if you have time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #217
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Be interesting to get a dyno from eurocharged
      08-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #218
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13M5F10 View Post
I'm scheduled in two weeks :-) hope you're right. I'll hit you up before, would like to sit in your car and check it out before I make it happen if you have time.
I am right. No problem man you'll like the drive. Let me know. What dp did you decide to get. I might be offshore by the time you get here. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:32 AM   #219
Mgone
Banned
Rep

Heres a video ofboth of our M5's with BR stage2

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167754
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #220
13M5F10
Hide! My wife's coming!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 | MSR Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I am right. No problem man you'll like the drive. Let me know. What dp did you decide to get. I might be offshore by the time you get here. Maybe.
I am undecided on DP. They have their own brand which I am leaning towards or I may do RPI. I think in the end, they will all perform well.
*** SOLD *** 2013 BMW M5 | Space Grey | MSR Stage 3 Tune | Catless Downpipes | MSR Intake and Charge Pipes | MSR Exhaust (Prototype) | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser | RW Carbon Front Lip | RW Carbon Trunk Spoiler| Vorsteiner VS-310 Forged Wheels | Escort 9500CI w/Laser Jammers
Appreciate 0