tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I just test drove the M2. You guys are going to think I'm crazy but I was a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and still do, but it didn't feel that much more aggressive than my M235i. The main differences I noticed was the brakes and the suspension was a little stiffer.

I'm sitting hear in disbelief actually. I didn't really push the car past 4000 rpm's because of the break in. I don't think the dealer would have minded, but I don't want to do that to the perspective buyer.

Honestly, my Evo x felt more aggressive than both the M2 and my M235i. I've wondered if BMW limits their cars until after break in because my m235i felt stronger after break in. I've googled this and not one seems to think this is the case.

Anyway, the dealer offered me 35000 for my 2016 M235i so I'm a little upside down by about four grand. I have the money to compensate for it,but not sure it's worth it at the moment, and it wasn't really the color I wanted.

Something else I wanted to add was about the Dct transmission. It felt more aggressive but not nearly as I thought. It must be BMW 's refinement everyone talks about. The new Idrive system was cool but other than that I'm familiar with the interior.

Honestly I have to say it again, I'm in disbelief. Even getting back to driving my M235i didn't make me miss the M2. I agree with those who said that you want really feel the difference until you at the track and the car it pushed.

I'm typing on my iPad outside a restaurant and there's so much I want to talk about, but I'm getting hungry.
Test driving under 4k rpm is call cruising around
Appreciate 3
      04-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #288
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

I like the fact that the M240i manages to hang out with the base M2.

Because then BMW M will ensure that the M2 CS will outrun both.
      04-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #289
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I like the fact that the M240i manages to hang out with the base M2.

Because then BMW M will ensure that the M2 CS will outrun both.
Are you trading up?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #290
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
Yeah that's true, but I did get on it some, and went slightly over 4k a few times. I couldn't help it. I just tried to keep it under.

I started off in normal mode because I've heard that driving the M2 in normal drive mode is like driving the M235i in sport mode, I don't agree with that. The M2 rides along nicely in normal drive mode. It's get a little bumpy here and there but nothing drastic. The brakes were something I really liked.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #291
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Yeah that's true, but I did get on it some, and went slightly over 4k a few times. I couldn't help it. I just tried to keep it under.

I started off in normal mode because I've heard that driving the M2 in normal drive mode is like driving the M235i in sport mode, I don't agree with that. The M2 rides along nicely in normal drive mode. It's get a little bumpy here and there but nothing drastic. The brakes were something I really liked.
Great that you got a chance to test drive the M2... more than I ever got... but it sucks you were limited to a Sunday cruise. I would agree that babying it will not let any of the main pluses of the M2 shine. Still looks great, of course. But yeah, how are you supposed to appreciate the differentiation in driving dynamic at that level?

But I bet you didn't power around any corners. That would have shown you one difference right away.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8784.00
      04-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #292
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Great that you got a chance to test drive the M2... more than I ever got... but it sucks you were limited to a Sunday cruise. I would agree that babying it will not let any of the main pluses of the M2 shine. Still looks great, of course. But yeah, how are you supposed to appreciate the differentiation in driving dynamic at that level?

But I bet you didn't power around any corners. That would have shown you one difference right away.
I didn't get a chance to power around corners, you're correct. It was mainly me, and I don't think the dealer would have minded. I get that way when I'm test driving a new car.

I honestly think BMW has something built in to limit a car slightly during break in. I have no proof of this, and I know most won't agree, but I swear it seems like my M235i ran better after 1200 miles. Even in comfort mode it felt stronger.

I usually don't really push a car until after I've bought it and it's mine. I'm positive I would love the M2 after owning it and driving it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #293
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Are you trading up?
Depends on how it works out for me when applying the marginal utility theory, with the M2 CS being a 'marginal unit' (albeit an improved one) that begs the question "is it really worth it ?".

04-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #294
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Depends on how it works out for me when applying the marginal utility theory, with the M2 CS being a 'marginal unit' (albeit an improved one) that begs the question "is it really worth it ?".

Yea...but you forgot to factor the dark chocolate milk chocolate part!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 02:28 AM   #295
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

In comfort mode the throttle is really squishy and unresponsive. Sport is a bit better, and Sport + better still. Not sure how those modes compare to the m235i as far as throttle response. The M2 still sounds pretty decent in comfort mode with the windows down though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #296
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
In comfort mode the throttle is really squishy and unresponsive. Sport is a bit better, and Sport + better still. Not sure how those modes compare to the m235i as far as throttle response. The M2 still sounds pretty decent in comfort mode with the windows down though.
That's how it works with the M235i. In comparison, the M2 blips the throttle more aggressively during braking in sport-mode. The M235i does that, but doesn't rev quite as high or doesn't seen to.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #297
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando
Quote:

Agree that comfort mode, on a good street, is like cruising around in a Ford Fusion.

Our car comes alive in sport and sport +. Without the adjustable suspension, I see no reason to ever NOT be in sport +.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #298
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
Agree that comfort mode, on a good street, is like cruising around in a Ford Fusion.

Our car comes alive in sport and sport +. Without the adjustable suspension, I see no reason to ever NOT be in sport +.
There's a comfort mode?!?! Wow! What's a comfort mode? Sounds like something from a mercury sable. I'll have to see if my car has that
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #299
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
That's how it works with the M235i. In comparison, the M2 blips the throttle more aggressively during braking in sport-mode. The M235i does that, but doesn't rev quite as high or doesn't seen to.
The faster the shift, the bigger the blip needed. The higher the initial rpms, the higher the rpm reached by the blip. As you go from comfort to sport to sport+, the shifts get faster and the shift points are at higher rpm. My guess is that the M2 has both quicker shifts and higher rpm than the equivalent mode in the M240i. But someone could set me straight if that's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #300
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
The faster the shift, the bigger the blip needed. The higher the initial rpms, the higher the rpm reached by the blip. As you go from comfort to sport to sport+, the shifts get faster and the shift points are at higher rpm. My guess is that the M2 has both quicker shifts and higher rpm than the equivalent mode in the M240i. But someone could set me straight if that's wrong.
That makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #301
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post

A good sports car suspension dampens movement so that the driver is able to quickly and consistently transition through corners. This can be achieved through better suspension geometry, stiffer spring rate, and increased damping. A great sports car suspension does all of these things while maintaining a compliant ride and progressive, predictable limits.

BMW tune M-car suspensions to be great. Not taking anything away from cars like the Evo, but Mitsubishi are taking a compact economy car and extracting true sports car performance from it. This requires more compromise in the compliance/ride quality department. The result is a much stiffer feeling car.

Keep in mind that most BMW cars handle really well up to around 7/10ths driving. It is at that point that the difference really shows up. Even M-performance models will begin to get floppy before a L-model.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #302
Maniax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I owned a M135i and then the M2.
I regret not having driven the M135i hard enough during the test drive. Only after owning the M135i did I realize that when driving it beyond 80%, was the rear loose and vague. It just felt like a fast car, not a sports car. No point being fast if it was unstable.

So I really drove the M2 during the test drive. It was very clear that it is a much more stable and confidence inspiring car, which my wife could tell from the back passenger seat too.

Now that I upgrade to the M2, I really feel I wasted my money on the M135i (lsd, rear subframe brace and other mods). I should have gotten the M2 the first time!
Appreciate 2
StefanV35.00
      04-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #303
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax View Post
I owned a M135i and then the M2.
I regret not having driven the M135i hard enough during the test drive. Only after owning the M135i did I realize that when driving it beyond 80%, was the rear loose and vague. It just felt like a fast car, not a sports car. No point being fast if it was unstable.

So I really drove the M2 during the test drive. It was very clear that it is a much more stable and confidence inspiring car, which my wife could tell from the back passenger seat too.

Now that I upgrade to the M2, I really feel I wasted my money on the M135i (lsd, rear subframe brace and other mods). I should have gotten the M2 the first time!
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #304
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Back on track with OP.... M2 vs M240i; serendipitously I found myself behind a light grey M240i yesterday for about 3 miles. I was not in my M2 but my Jetta TDI. While this was a one lane country road, it is a well traveled, busy, thoroughfare, and the M240i was keeping in line with traffic. 1 out of 10 driving, sunday afternoon type. No commuters dashing to catch a train or get home.

Anyway the point of this is that the rear of the M240i is not very attractive!!

The longer I looked at that rear the more I realized it looked downright ugly!

Something is out of proportion.

I don't believe the M2 gives that same impression, although, in fairness, some have commented on the M2's butt not being her best feature! I disagree

Last edited by reppucci; 04-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: added M2 picture and changed to light grey m240 from black m240
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #305
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci View Post
Back on track with OP.... M2 vs M240i; serendipitously I found myself behind a light grey M240i yesterday for about 3 miles. I was not in my M2 but my Jetta TDI. While this was a one lane country road, it is a well traveled, busy, thoroughfare, and the M240i was keeping in line with traffic. 1 out of 10 driving, sunday afternoon type. No commuters dashing to catch a train or get home.

I don't believe the M2 gives that same impression, although, in fairness, some have commented on the M2's butt not being her best feature! I disagree

It's a great butt. Tips a bit too small in my opinion. But otherwise it's got a nice shape to it. The 235/240 has very little shape in that area.
Appreciate 1
reppucci339.50
      04-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #306
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:

clipped

clipped
IMO, it's the tail lights. They're too... stubby. For me, it's the same on the M2, but the wider hips on the M2 make up for it a little bit. In both cases, the tail lights look like someone took them in to Photoshop and smooshed them so they'd be narrower.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #307
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

why is this thread not under m2 vs ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #308
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

Yeah OK, the M2 has an nicer ass. But lets compare photos that really compare. This M235i has a different diffuser which is not a huge expense.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17608.50