M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-15-2021, 04:44 AM   #23
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I dont plan to run meth

If temps would drop 10deg c plus id be happy but what about boost dropping how does that affect it?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

If you want a better solution to overcome heat, invest in Interchillers (Australia) or Killerchiller (US).

I went with the killerchiller but haven't installed it yet. It use the concept of Dodge Demon or Hellcat in cooling charge air.

Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #25
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hey guys, it looks like I came across the same dilemma..CSF or PG.

I live in the UK and the weather is colder thoughout the year. However I am in the process of upgrading the car with after market quality parts.

In my opinion, it makes sense to upgrade the OEM charge coolers as they are (supposedly) bigger and offer (supposedly) better cooling properties.

I am not running a tune and my intention is to keep the car stock in terms of horsepower. My understanding is that bigger and more efficient charge coolers are better for the motor, especially in heavy traffic during peak hours.

So which one is best value for money?

CSF are being endorsed by Evolve, but Evolve are always upmarket and selling pricey parts as a strategy. On the other hand, they do hold data logs that prove CSF are actually working well and offer improved cooling and performance.

On the other hand Velocity Tuning use Project Gamma (coolers and intakes) and so far no issues reported. But they do not have data logs posted somewhere, so it is kind of a grey area.

The difference in price is significant. And that triggers my question. How do I know that PG will not fail and risk wasting my money for something that is not proven (at least not publicly by a reputable tuner like Velocity Tuning...)

Would it be safer to go with CSF and avoid a potential risk? Or it would not make a difference at all as some people mentioned already? Is it only a brand name thing? Hard to believe someone would choose to price their products 3 times higher if there wasn't any comparable point with the cheaper product. At least this is what common sense dictates..

Please could I kindly ask any CSF/PG users to add their comments to this thread? It would greatly help to have real life experience with regards to performance of the charge coolers.

P.S there is also APEX BUILT priced in the middle..that again looks similar to both contenders
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #26
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomadam530i View Post

I live in the UK and the weather is colder thoughout the year. However I am in the process of upgrading the car with after market quality parts.

In my opinion, it makes sense to upgrade the OEM charge coolers as they are (supposedly) bigger and offer (supposedly) better cooling properties.

I am not running a tune and my intention is to keep the car stock in terms of horsepower. My understanding is that bigger and more efficient charge coolers are better for the motor, especially in heavy traffic during peak hours.

CSF are being endorsed by Evolve, but Evolve are always upmarket and selling pricey parts as a strategy. On the other hand, they do hold data logs that prove CSF are actually working well and offer improved cooling and performance.

On the other hand Velocity Tuning use Project Gamma (coolers and intakes) and so far no issues reported. But they do not have data logs posted somewhere, so it is kind of a grey area.

The difference in price is significant. And that triggers my question. How do I know that PG will not fail and risk wasting my money for something that is not proven (at least not publicly by a reputable tuner like Velocity Tuning...)

Would it be safer to go with CSF and avoid a potential risk? Or it would not make a difference at all as some people mentioned already? Is it only a brand name thing? Hard to believe someone would choose to price their products 3 times higher if there wasn't any comparable point with the cheaper product. At least this is what common sense dictates..

Please could I kindly ask any CSF/PG users to add their comments to this thread? It would greatly help to have real life experience with regards to performance of the charge coolers.

P.S there is also APEX BUILT priced in the middle..that again looks similar to both contenders
I'm in the UK too. I have the PG coolers. Truth be told the gains are very little versus the cost. I'm stage 2 (by Velocity Tuning, couldn't be happier) but will one day run meth. If was to have my time again, I probably wouldn't bother with chargecoolers. I wish I did some datalogging on the standard coolers. The PG coolers run 15-20°c IAT above ambient once car is up to temp. I wish I knew how the OEM cooler ran, my guess is they would be almost identical to PG. My Dragy 100-200 times didn't improve when fitting the PG coolers.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #27
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Upgraded charge coolers won't be any better then OEM specially at heavy traffic actually might be worse. The air cooling circuit is controlled by two pumps made from Pierburg that operates based on RPM, IAT and ambient Temp.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #28
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
Quote:

Upgraded charge coolers won't be any better then OEM specially at heavy traffic actually might be worse. The air cooling circuit is controlled by two pumps made from Pierburg that operates based on RPM, IAT and ambient Temp.
Why won't it be better in traffic?

I have the PG ones sitting in a box, just have to find time to install them. I also have BM3 running a modified stock tune. I can do some logging of before and after. Do you know what would be a good test for it? Or should I just drive it normally?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #29
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Why won't it be better in traffic?

I have the PG ones sitting in a box, just have to find time to install them. I also have BM3 running a modified stock tune. I can do some logging of before and after. Do you know what would be a good test for it? Or should I just drive it normally?
Because the charge cooler pumps barely works at idle(traffic scenario). so no water is passing through to lower your temps nor air passing through the side rads. Usually its tested under WOT it will hold temp slightly better(until heat soaked) than OEM.

I have PG too and I went back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #30
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Because the charge cooler pumps barely works at idle(traffic scenario). so no water is passing through to lower your temps nor air passing through the side rads. Usually its tested under WOT it will hold temp slightly better(until heat soaked) than OEM.

I have PG too and I went back to stock.
No offence my friend, but your comment is not logical. If the said pumps barely work when idling in traffic, this would apply to both OEM and after market charge coolers.

Having said that, it would make sense to upgrade the cooler chargers to improve performance when the pumps fully operate.

The question is: Since these settings are accessible via ECU flashing/tuning, can we not control the pump sensors to operate for example at 20% (instead of 0%, as per factory setting when idle) and 100% when revving at 6500rpm ???
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #31
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No offence my friend, but your comment is not logical. If the said pumps barely work when idling in traffic, this would apply to both OEM and after market charge coolers.

Having said that, it would make sense to upgrade the cooler chargers to improve performance when the pumps fully operate.

The question is: Since these settings are accessible via ECU flashing/tuning, can we not control the pump sensors to operate for example at 20% (instead of 0%, as per factory setting when idle) and 100% when revving at 6500rpm ???
Non taken, I am here to share experience and learn from others.

If you read my previous comment you would see that I said OEM or after market on heavy traffic won't make a difference and that is because the air isn't flowing through the rads. didn't say 0% either but its insignificant. Also the pump never runs at 100% merely 80%

Quote:
Regarding, the question I am still looking looking deep into it to find a way because in my country ambient temps are way crazy lol.

Coolant pump in low-temperature coolant circuit.pdf

The below table shows the ambient temp the the horizontal and the difference between IAT and Ambient on the vertical

I.E If you were at 15(c) ambient you IAT needs to be at 20(c) to be at 60.
Name:  Screenshot 2022-10-09 044503.png
Views: 486
Size:  71.3 KB

Last edited by M6Roar; 10-08-2022 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #32
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

I have been running with the CSF Intercoolers and so far, they have really proved to me that they are worth it for the endurance/spirited driving. Living in Los Angeles and with the recent heat wave throughout the summer, the car performed extremely well with humid 100+ weather each day. I am currently Stage 2 from BM3, the engine temps were always consistent compared to stock intercooler which would vary a lot during traffic or even flowing traffic.

Personally, I feel it was a great purchase for the reliability and peace of mind, as well, they are well built and would be worth the try
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:28 PM   #33
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremexlonly View Post
I have been running with the CSF Intercoolers and so far, they have really proved to me that they are worth it for the endurance/spirited driving. Living in Los Angeles and with the recent heat wave throughout the summer, the car performed extremely well with humid 100+ weather each day. I am currently Stage 2 from BM3, the engine temps were always consistent compared to stock intercooler which would vary a lot during traffic or even flowing traffic.

Personally, I feel it was a great purchase for the reliability and peace of mind, as well, they are well built and would be worth the try

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #34
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you want a better solution to overcome heat, invest in Interchillers (Australia) or Killerchiller (US).

I went with the killerchiller but haven't installed it yet. It use the concept of Dodge Demon or Hellcat in cooling charge air.

Did you ever install this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 12:29 AM   #35
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
Did you ever install this ?
Still relaxing in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #36
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.50]
Quote:
Still relaxing in my garage.
in which garage you will install it? not easy, need some one know what to do and what it need

try to take video or photos and write the steps when installing it, i will be next, i see it better than meth 100%
      10-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #37
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
in which garage you will install it? not easy, need some one know what to do and what it need

try to take video or photos and write the steps when installing it, i will be next, i see it better than meth 100%
lol I meant sitting in my garage. I havent installed it yet looking to find someone with expertise to do it. As per few youtube vids I saw it looked easy but I have no worked on A/C before.
Appreciate 0