lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
You had me at 1 MY newer...lol. If warranty is a concern for you, get the newer one with CP. Resale will be better also. The price delta sounds about right between the two examples.
lol I was initially sold by that as well (although the 2014 comes with CPO so it has warranty until 2020 while the 2015 is standard warranty which ends in 2019. If I do pursue it I would negotiate that in of course but the difference is potentially in favour of the 2014 there.

Resale for me is a relatively lower concern since I put the miles on my vehicles... I drive a lot. So 1 MY newer isn't going to gain me the additional value on the tail end for the premium that I would pay up front.

The last thing to consider is the $15K difference put in to Dinan on the non-CP would build a smokin' car! I would only be missing the steering and differential enhancements.
The steering rack can be swapped and the retrofit instructions do secretly exist as long as the car has the underlying change incorporation...it's an expensive job though.

Are Dinan products something you're actually interested in separately, because it's a deal sweetener on paper, or possibly the non CP car is Blk/Blk and already has some of the Dinan equipment already on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
speedemn
Rep
Drives: Various - V8 - 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Definitely drive both if you have the opportunity. I recommend leaving Servotronic in Comfort on both to feel the true difference.

This video isn't half bad to get a little impression as to the difference. The Ring Taxi has CP and ///M Drivers Pack. Both cars are in MDM mode. At the corners in the video where both cars are close to each other and follow the same line at approx the same speed, watch the front wheel of the Ring Taxi vs the steering wheel in the standard car.

Great video! The standard car's wheel does seem to dance around quite a bit more but in real world situations I am not sure the difference between the two would be that impactful... ? I really do need to drive both.

Quote:
The Diff is physically the same but the ECU (GHAS) has different software. BMW will not support an upgrade.
What exactly is the software tuned to do?

Quote:
The Dinan HAS Springs are 15% firmer than the standard M5 springs. CP Springs are also 15% firmer than the standard springs so no difference there. Where they differ is CP has different struts and revised EDC Programming and Dinan has adjustable spring pads and bump stop perch. It's been a long time since I drove the S1 and it was much improved without a doubt. My opinion though...CP Setup is slightly better and can be further improved with the increased negative camber upper wishbone and revised alignment front and rear. The downside is increased tire wear for DD use. I also think the CP/Dinan suggested ride height is perfect for the car so the latter's adjustable height ability isn't of interest. Neither have gap in the rear and the front is very little with a slightly more aggressive tire/wheel setup.
I do long commutes on the highway so the increased negative camber would hurt me in tire wear.

Is there a way to compare the CP EDC setting to the Dinan setup (and how would EDC work with Dinan relative to CP EDC setting?)

Quote:
I just did a brief glance of all M5's on Auto-Trader I think? Was just a quick look. I remember the CP with Individual Champagne you mentioned since it has The Ultimate Package on it. There were 2 or 3 with Full Black interior, one with a high number of klick a on the odo, one with chrome exhaust tips switched out, and another that just looked beat. There's a Frozen White/Sakhir but it was overpriced IIRC.
I was considering the Sakhir even though orange isn't my favourite colour by any means given that some of these cars are well equipped but one look at it and my better half was repulsed... so that made that decision easy for me. The champagne isn't my first choice either and I prefer full leather to extended but the champagne car has the CP. Hence my dilemma. But one of the non-CP cars has Dinan parts on it already and another dealer has offered to Dinan up his non-CP car to compensate for not having the CP so I am awaiting some numbers on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #25
speedemn
Rep

Quote:
The steering rack can be swapped and the retrofit instructions do secretly exist as long as the car has the underlying change incorporation...it's an expensive job though.
Not worth the effort in my opinion... I would get the CP if this means that much which after all the help and input here seem to be less than critical to have.

Quote:
Are Dinan products something you're actually interested in separately, because it's a deal sweetener on paper, or possibly the non CP car is Blk/Blk and already has some of the Dinan equipment already on it?
All my BMWs go Dinan and I have been happy and got the longevity and reliability out of them. So it is of value to me. Of course in the context of a purchase it does act as a deal sweetner as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #26
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

BMW factory package vs. Dinan - get Comp package.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #27
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

i have the comp package and dinan stage 1
...love it
why can't you do both
perhaps better
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #28
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
Great video! The standard car's wheel does seem to dance around quite a bit more but in real world situations I am not sure the difference between the two would be that impactful... ? I really do need to drive both.

What exactly is the software tuned to do?

I do long commutes on the highway so the increased negative camber would hurt me in tire wear.

Is there a way to compare the CP EDC setting to the Dinan setup (and how would EDC work with Dinan relative to CP EDC setting?)

I was considering the Sakhir even though orange isn't my favourite colour by any means given that some of these cars are well equipped but one look at it and my better half was repulsed... so that made that decision easy for me. The champagne isn't my first choice either and I prefer full leather to extended but the champagne car has the CP. Hence my dilemma. But one of the non-CP cars has Dinan parts on it already and another dealer has offered to Dinan up his non-CP car to compensate for not having the CP so I am awaiting some numbers on that.
Everything is tied to DSC regardless of whether it is selected fully on, in Dynamic Mode, or "off" (DSC is never fully disabled due to its interaction with other systems, so off is just a very degraded state that doesn't react with throttle or wheel brake intervention to differential friction coefficient values during acceleration and cornering unless Pre-Crash is triggered). This has an effect on the Active Diff under certain conditions.

The Electronic Lock is active in the following situations:
  • 1 - Performance Acceleration
  • 2 - Differential speed at the rear axle for straight-ahead driving under load due to different coefficients of friction left/right
  • 3 - Dynamic Cornering
  • 4 - Heavy Oversteer
  • 5 - Throttle Reduction/Braking
  • 6 - High Speed Acceleration above 200 km/h (unique to CP and/or M Driver's Package to improve kinetic energy)

Assuming MDM mode of DSC is active, the behavior of the Electronic Diff Lock is increased or decreased compared to the standard car. The most noticeable difference is cornering at the limit. CP diff is programmed to react slightly slower, thus smoother, and has improved torque vectoring and output shaft braking characteristics. This allows a bit more rear slip without slowing the car and removes most of the unpredictable snap behavior the standard car exhibits.

For EDC, it's mostly a physical difference for CP. Both have infinitely variable Active Dampers based on the hybrid skyhook/groundhook theory, but CP are adapted for the lowered ride height, and different pistons for faster and firmer compression/rebound. Any programming or coding differences are to adapt to the hardware differences.

This is just my opinion, but for a daily driver with a long commute, unless the roads are well maintained and/or it's a "fun" route, CP or any firmer aftermarket suspension can become annoying when dealing with undulations, cracks, and potholes. Long routes with all three drive me nuts after a few minutes since sport plus helps with the undulations, but worsens sharp impacts. If you plan to use the performance capabilities outside of your commute on a regular basis, the sacrifice may be worth it.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-16-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I would go with the CP hands down. I'm not a fan of Dinan and have also said they are a fraud. You can't believe what their marketing material says. I did extensive testing on some of their products and they are not what they say they are. I'm sure you all have heard the line, "does it feel faster"?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #30
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

I've owned both and can tell you the Dinan feels as if it performs better (i.e. corners flatter) but the comp package feels significantly better, unified, and more confidence inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #31
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That could be true, guess I am speaking more of their tunes. I should have been more clear.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #32
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
CP + Dinan tune and you're set
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #33
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

You can choose whatever you want.

But for me, I'm a stock/OEM guy so Competition Package gets my vote.

P.S.
Interestingly, even if you have a non-CP car, you can get CP Suspension parts individually if you want that CP-like feel in your non-CP car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #34
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Dinan all the way. Those disagreeing haven't owned an M with Stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #35
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I would get the best kept M available to you at the most competitive price and benchflash my DMEs. With a flash you will be able to put down at least 610-620 whp.
      05-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #36
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had a 2012 and established a baseline stock in the qtr mile at the track with time slips. A week later installed Dinan Stage 1 and my times were within 1/10 of a second. Couple weeks later installed Dinan Stage 2 and ran the same times and in a few cases slower. Multiple trips back to the dealer for re-flash and even had the Dinan rep there. At the end of the day he could not explain why my car did not have any noticeable performance increase. I have a very extensive spreadsheet with all of my data, weather conditions, same temperature, same amount of fuel in the car and so on. We all came to the conclusion that the "car felt faster" despite not being able to back it up at the track. So your "butt dyno" will convince you that the car is really faster when in reality, it is not.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #37
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
I had a 2012 and established a baseline stock in the qtr mile at the track with time slips. A week later installed Dinan Stage 1 and my times were within 1/10 of a second. Couple weeks later installed Dinan Stage 2 and ran the same times and in a few cases slower. Multiple trips back to the dealer for re-flash and even had the Dinan rep there. At the end of the day he could not explain why my car did not have any noticeable performance increase. I have a very extensive spreadsheet with all of my data, weather conditions, same temperature, same amount of fuel in the car and so on. We all came to the conclusion that the "car felt faster" despite not being able to back it up at the track. So your "butt dyno" will convince you that the car is really faster when in reality, it is not.
Strange, my M is far faster than when stock. No comparison, it's incredible. I did intake and exhaust too, maybe that is the difference. Traction, even at 80mph was a challenge after the tune., not near so much stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #38
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Strange, my M is far faster than when stock. No comparison, it's incredible. I did intake and exhaust too, maybe that is the difference. Traction, even at 80mph was a challenge after the tune., not near so much stock.
Glad you got great results. My experience sucked.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #39
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between a handful of F10 M5 cars available in the market and am stuck on which subset of options I would prefer (while giving up some options since I can't get it all in the pre-owned market).

I am specifically looking at the Competition Package and am wondering if I choose the F10 M5 without Comp. Pkg. (as it has some other options that I desire that the Comp. Pkg. equipped vehicles do not have out of the available specimens) then is there a way for the dealer to equip the car where it would compensate (or over-compensate) for not having the Competition Package or if there are still some elements of the Comp. Pkg. that you cannot modify after the fact.

Here are the features of the Comp. Pkg.:

Power increase by 11kW (15HP) to 423kW (575 HP)
This option is easily overcome with Dinan exhaust, intake, tuning

Stiffer stabilizer (anti-roll) bars
This option is able to be substituted with the Dinan anti-roll bars - which I assume would be superior to the Comp. Pkg?

Stiffer and lower suspension (shocks and springs) (10mm lower than standard M5).
Dinan adjustable coilover suspension lowers the standard M5 with adjustability up to 1.25" and 15% stiffer

Stiffer front axle bushings
I don't think Dinan has anything to compensate for this?

Active M Differential with a unique tune for the competition package for improved traction
I don't think Dinan has anything to compensate for this?

New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering
I don't imagine that there is a substitute for this, is there?

M Dynamic mode (MDM) of DSC tuned with higher thresholds of intervention
I don't imagine that there is a substitute for this, is there?

New 20" M light alloy wheels
Not too concerned about this as there is a Dinan and many other quality aftermarket options.

Sport exhaust with black chrome tips
Dinan has its exhaust which I assume is lighter than stock M5 and with tuning gives performance gains while I think the Comp. Pkg. exhaust is just tips? Or lighter muffler?

The dealer is willing to throw in some Dinan mods to compensate for not having the Comp. Pkg. or another dealer has the car with Comp. Pkg. ready to go but missing a couple of other options that I do care about but performance is #1 so I am open to going either way if the differences can be overcome.

Any help in rationalizing through this would be greatly appreciated.
Why not get both?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #40
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
What numbers are you putting down
      02-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #41
speedemn
Rep

So OP here after a few years of buying and owning the newer model year Comp Pkg ... thank you all for the advice. I just eclipsed my 4yr/80k this past summer (I did buy the 7yr/200k extended). What a blast I have been having... WOW! Glad I went with the CP... I did drive both the non-CP ad the CP before I decided and CP was a hands-down better experience than non.

Now as for Dinan... all the comments above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
i have the comp package and dinan stage 1
...love it
why can't you do both
perhaps better
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
CP + Dinan tune and you're set
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Why not get both?
Now that I am passed by 4yr/80k I got the stage 1 tune on its way... can't wait!!! :-) I put the car away in the Winters so I will get it on but then will need to wait until the Spring to try it.

CP + Dinan as many of you suggested...

In my past experience I have had mixed results with just doing the Dinan tune so I hope to actually notice more than a butt-dyno difference this time.
GONE: 2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
BBS RG-R, CDV, DINAN Exhaust, RSB, RSTB, SSK, FSTB, CAI, TB, MAF, Stage 4 software
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #42
Bam002
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Dinan M5, Stage 2 135i

Quote:
So OP here after a few years of buying and owning the newer model year Comp Pkg ... thank you all for the advice. I just eclipsed my 4yr/80k this past summer (I did buy the 7yr/200k extended). What a blast I have been having... WOW! Glad I went with the CP... I did drive both the non-CP ad the CP before I decided and CP was a hands-down better experience than non.

Now that I am passed by 4yr/80k I got the stage 1 tune on its way... can't wait!!! :-) I put the car away in the Winters so I will get it on but then will need to wait until the Spring to try it.

In my past experience I have had mixed results with just doing the Dinan tune so I hope to actually notice more than a butt-dyno difference this time.
You're going to love it and you're going to tell yourself this is too much. I have the full Dinan Signature Pack and the car is night and day to the normal car.

Are you going suspension also? You'll need to have the full stance adjusted and I would recommend wider wheels up front to really fee the full benefits of better turn in. You're also going to shred your tires the first 3 months you have your car just for the novelty of having the extra power. The normal day to day driving is understated and civilized. Hit the button and eat miles faster than you're ready for and gas for that matter but who's here to save gas.

I cut my oil change intervals in half while i was monkeying around. It may be excessive but every 3k I changed and felt good about it. I'm at 5k intervals now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #43
bquicksilver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 - Alpine White CP

The extra 3-4k you'll pay for a comp car is probably what you'd pay to get the Dinan suspension parts all in, and still miss some things. Get a comp car and tune it if you need more power. In Canada you'll only have about 2 months you can safely get traction in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:

Ultimately, there's no replacement for the quick ZCP steering rack.

The other Dinan mods basically overrides the stock ZCP set-up. I think the tune you got is the best bang for the buck, with a power increase across the entire power band.
Appreciate 0