09-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many German broads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindUp View Post
I also live in Tennessee. 32 years in Nashville, and had to get away, so now I am in Tullahoma.

My experience has been a little different than yours.

I bought my 2013 M5 in May with 97k miles. The previous owner was a soccer mom, not an enthusiast. There were zero mods done to the car when I bought it, and I have no extended warranty. The car runs flawlessly and uses very little oil. I did the first oil change right away and have not had to add any oil in almost 3000 miles. I only paid $26k for the car, so it's not perfect.

Here are the small issues I have noticed.

The blind spot indicators don't seem to do anything. I don't know if the system is dead or a fuse is blown, but I get no indicators at all. Collision and lane departure both work great.

The driver side door handle was continually trying to lock, causing the car to get the battery drain message, so I disconnected the large plug in the handle. I can no longer unlock the car by placing my hand in the driver's door handle, but the rest of the work fine, so I use the rear door instead.

Soft close works on all doors except the driver's door. If I try to soft close, it seems to work fine and closes the door, then it just pops right back out without latching. I have not investigated the issue, but the motor seems to work fine, and there is no strange noise, so it's not a big deal to me.

I'm in the process of doing all the maintenance that I am sure was neglected before I install the JB4 that I already purchased. I have changed wipers, oil, oil filter, air filters, spark plugs, coils, differential oil, DCT oil and filters, and coolant flush is upcoming. Once all that is done, I will probably install the JB4 then turn my attention to the brakes, which seem fine, but could probably use new rotors. Once that is done, suspension control arms/bushings/ball joints and everything else will be gone over. I love the car and drive it every day.
Wow you probably picked up the cleaned 2013 M5 with that many miles. Good thing it was not abused. They are getting very cheap but the horror stories on early ones along with rougher high miles is tough a risk.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #24
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Wow you probably picked up the cleaned 2013 M5 with that many miles. Good thing it was not abused. They are getting very cheap but the horror stories on early ones along with rougher high miles is tough a risk.
Yeah, I was impressed how clean it is. Clean carfax. I would really like to know the BMW service history on the car. It looks like the previous owner used the dealer for everything. All filters and wipers were Mahle and BMW branded, so I feel like it was well taken care of.

The one thing that bothers me is the windshield is not an OEM windshield. I will replace it the first time it gets a crack.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #25
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many German broads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindUp View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I was impressed how clean it is. Clean carfax. I would really like to know the BMW service history on the car. It looks like the previous owner used the dealer for everything. All filters and wipers were Mahle and BMW branded, so I feel like it was well taken care of.

The one thing that bothers me is the windshield is not an OEM windshield. I will replace it the first time it gets a crack.
My concern would be since it was dealer maintained, she probably followed the crazy long oil change intervals.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #26
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
My concern would be since it was dealer maintained, she probably followed the crazy long oil change intervals.
But if she drove it in Efficient-Comfort-Comfort all the time, I am not sure that shorter intervals were needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:42 PM   #27
some_idiot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 singapore gray M5

If anybody else gets this collision avoidance/front camera malfunction, having the KAFAS system replaced fixed the problem. I now have accident avoidance, lane departure warning, speed limit info, etc all back again.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #28
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6spd | 2023 m8cgc

Sorry for all the issues, I have a 13 with 50k miles and been bullet proof with fbo on open flash tune.

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 0