stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
so what if they put m badges on... if anything, you guys should feel flattered.
I don't know. I specifically bought a watch that would be unlikely to be forged (Corum Admiral's Cup) instead of a more popular model that is forged (Rolex Submariner).

Forgery devalues the brand. That's why Apple spends so much money litigating people who copy their products and brand.

When you buy a BMW or a Porsche, a lot of what you pay for is the brand. Not all of it, but a good chunk of it. So when the brand gets devalued, you are getting shortchanged.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #46
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin4now
Thought this was a more humble option
Really bad badge placement and the backing is still on it. Looks like it was applied just for a photo.

Still funny nonetheless.
      04-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #47
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Really bad badge placement and the backing is still on it. Looks like it was applied just for a photo.

Still funny nonetheless.
Photoshopped on I guess... Or just copy/paste from photo of a 518 onto the photo of his M5
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #48
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
i came to the 5 forums to see some nice cars and i get a bunch of stuck up little b***hes crying over some guys that just put some letters on there cars...you guys are probably the same guys that wear decked out bmw clothing.

seriously how old are you guys? key fake on someones car because they put ///m on their car? they lambo guys should key your car "broke" for buying an "affordable" sports car.

anyone hating that much on these cars need to get a new perspective on life...would i do this to my car...hell no but to just flat out come out and say i wanna beat their ass for this is pretty pathetic.

you guys drive a nice car so just enjoy your car and stop the hating.
Most of the guys here are fine but a few suspects here that is a bit disappointing
      04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #49
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin4now View Post
This is funny! Especially since the individual paint clearly makes it look very special.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin4now View Post
You are falsely representing your car as a 518. That is an insult to all the 518 owners out there who specifically did NOT want their car confused with the anti-social boy racer image that the M5 portrays...

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #51
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Most of the guys here are fine but a few suspects here that is a bit disappointing
just figured you guys are out there making some hard money to buy this car...and didnt you guys had the time to care about such petty things =).

guess the guys that get all pissy are the ones that really couldnt afford it lol.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #52
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Isn't there a saying that "imitation is the best form of flattery"? Why not just ignore all the posers. Personally, I just smile whenever I see ladies who carry LV bags but from the way they dress, I highly doubt that they have an LV bag! So we can do the same thing with M5 posers so there's no need to throw barbs at them.
      04-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #53
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #54
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
Isn't there a saying that "imitation is the best form of flattery"? Why not just ignore all the posers. Personally, I just smile whenever I see ladies who carry LV bags but from the way they dress, I highly doubt that they have an LV bag! So we can do the same thing with M5 posers so there's no need to throw barbs at them.
If everyone took this perspective, the entire patent and registered trademark litigation industry would be dead.

Tell you what if you convince Apple that they shouldn't do this, then I will chill out and not care either.

Until then I will continue to call this out as shameful behavior.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If everyone took this perspective, the entire patent and registered trademark litigation industry would be dead.

Tell you what if you convince Apple that they shouldn't do this, then I will chill out and not care either.

Until then I will continue to call this out as shameful behavior.
Not quite the same, is it?

One thing is if company X somewhere makes a replica of a Apple product and sells it as a Apple (or a Chinese manufacturer makes a BMW 5-series clone and sell it as a BMW or MBW or whatever). That would be fraudulent and would be a breach of patents and trademarks. Just like the LV bags.

If someone owning a Iphone4 "modifies" it to look like a Iphone 5, that would not be the same thing would it? I highly doubt Apple are concerned about customers modifying the looks and appearance of their products. At least I have not read any reports about litigation over that issue...

The M5 is "just" a F10 just as the 528, 535 etc. Appearancewise there are only slight modifications, and it's not illegal to use either OEM BMW products to change the appearance or buy aftermarket suppliers products (which can be body panels etc, just like Brembo, Ate, Wilwood etc make aftermarket brake discs that are designed to look and function exacly like the stock products).

And where would you draw the line?

Someone putting on a M5 diffuser from an aftermarket supplier would be ok (since it has been modified to look different) but a OEM M5 diffuser would be fraudulent?

And what about those that modifies cars from a 528i to a M5 (a complete swap)? Those are a big part of the modification culture in some European countries (for tax reasons). The VIN says it's a 528 but everything apart from the bodyshell has been changed to M5 spec (mostly using a donor car). And the official documents will still say it's an 528i that has been modified into a M5.

Rumour has it that the prototype of one famous tuner's 1M was not based on a 1M but on a regular 1-series that was modified in that exact fashion (as can be seen on the mirrors not being M mirrors...)

Last edited by Boss330; 04-29-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #56
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just because the IP theft is done by individuals rather than by a corporation doesn't make it legitimate.

By your logic you would condone illegal BitTorrent movie and music downloads as long as it is done by an end user and not an aggregator.

That makes no sense to me.

The only difference is that in this case as long as the badge is genuine you are not breaking the law since you are adding a factory part to a factory car. So while legally it may be safe, it is morally still the same sort of thing as an illegal download or a copycat product, and those who do this are creating an externality.

I once had someone tell me that my genuine M5 is fake. That's the kind of externality I'm talking about. It's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #57
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Guys - lets just surrender to this. Even better lets put together a fund to give free M5 badges to the guys in the 5 series forum. I'll contribute a $100. Who wants to join?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #58
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Downloading of music and movies are governed by specific laws regulating this that safeguards the artists income/revenue from his products. Buying OEM products from BMW brings dollars into the manufacturers pockets, in effect paying for their IP. I don't get your comparison on this matter (maybe I'm thick ).

On a moral base you could argue that it's a different matter. Owners of Mustangs have been modifying their plane jane 'Stangs into Shelby Mustangs for ages. It doesn't seem to have affected genuine Shelby Mustang value, nor does it seem to have resulted in any lawsuits. I even believe Ford sees it as a good market for brand awareness and revenue in selling loads of Mustang parts and keeping the Mustang legacy living strong.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22737

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22733

But I definitely see your point and I bet the owners of the genuine Shelby Mustangs also need to specify that this is a genuine Shelby...

Last edited by Boss330; 04-29-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #59
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Downloading of music and movies are governed by specific laws regulating this that safeguards the artists income/revenue from his products. Buying OEM products from BMW brings dollars into the manufacturers pockets, in effect paying for their IP. I don't get your comparison on this matter (maybe I'm thick ).

On a moral base you could argue that it's a different matter. Owners of Mustangs have been modifying their plane jane 'Stangs into Shelby Mustangs for ages. It doesn't seem to have affected genuine Shelby Mustang value, nor does it seem to have resulted in any lawsuits. I even believe Ford sees it as a good market for brand awareness and revenue in selling loads of Mustang parts and keeping the Mustang legacy living strong.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22737

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22733

But I definitely see your point and I bet the owners of the genuine Shelby Mustangs also need to specify that this is a genuine Shelby...
Dude you've won me over. Do you want to contribute to my effort to bring M5 badges to the masses?

It turns out the F10 M5 badge goes online for about $30. However you can buy an E60 M5 badge for $7. So I suggest we pool together and buy the latter badges for our less fortunate cousins who want but don't have an M5 badge.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 04-29-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Hahahaha...

As I said, I get your point and your frustration on the diluting of the ///M brand (which it seems BMW also contributes to with the increase in "lesser" ///M models lately).

I draw the line with M5 badges, THAT is herecy
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #61
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Here are my views.

More people drive BMWs............. lower price point or more availability.

Less people drive Ferraris............ higher price point or less availability.

Although ///M cars provide the ultimate driving experience for us, most people don't care. They simply want to get from point A to B.

BMW is all about brand awareness..... so a BMW X is the same as a BMW Y, in the end both drive BMWs. There is no exclusivity, even if we KNOW there is.

Ferrari on the other hand is the most exclusive car manufacturer I can think of. As a non owner I can't buy the latest flagship with all the money in the world. (allocations are sold before they are manufactured)

So when I see non ///M cars with the badge I'm disappointed, but in the end we are both driving BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
Here are my views.

More people drive BMWs............. lower price point or more availability.

Less people drive Ferraris............ higher price point or less availability.

Although ///M cars provide the ultimate driving experience for us, most people don't care. They simply want to get from point A to B.

BMW is all about brand awareness..... so a BMW X is the same as a BMW Y, in the end both drive BMWs. There is no exclusivity, even if we KNOW there is.

Ferrari on the other hand is the most exclusive car manufacturer I can think of. As a non owner I can't buy the latest flagship with all the money in the world. (allocations are sold before they are manufactured)

So when I see non ///M cars with the badge I'm disappointed, but in the end we are both driving BMWs.

i disagree. with all the money in the world you could buy any ferrari. hell, you could just buy italy given how things are going there.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #63
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

:-) Even with all the money in world you would have to wait years for the new models. I should have made that distinction. ;-) Previous owners get first choice before non-owners. A quick Google search will reveal this fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
i disagree. with all the money in the world you could buy any ferrari. hell, you could just buy italy given how things are going there.
No, you can't.

The latest model LaFerrari (yes it's actaually called that...) is only sold to those who are previous clients of Ferrari and that currently owns at least 10 Ferraris.

The chosen few has been invited to previews and lunches (only a few at a time) and those who have been found "worthy" has been added to the list.

That's exclusivity. Buying a BMW (any BMW) is sort of like going to buy a pack of gum compared to that...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Buying a BMW (any BMW) is sort of like going to buy a pack of gum compared to that...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #66
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

So you don't participate in ///M parking? That's mandatory in our house. ;-) I know, I know it's just a car but its MY ///M car. :-)
Appreciate 0