M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

04-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #8493
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Never needed any car, fancy suit, or other props.
But you got dem doe. Amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
One is while on a date so she can't be considered a random.

The other would be at a bar. Random.

#amateurhour

Edit: I totally missed the birthday boy part. Damn you!
I will be damned!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #8494
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
I strongly dislike having someone pay for me. Obviously if we're spending a decent amount of time together to where it becomes a "you get this one, I'll get the next one" sort of thing, that's different. I've seen too many examples of women using men for free things, and too many examples of men using money as a way to control/get what they want out of women. It's such a turn off. I'm probably more biased against having someone pay than I should be, but it is what it is. Money, for me, is freedom to do what I want, when I want, how I want. If it's someone else's money on someone else's terms, that's not worth it to me.
The internet can be closed for the rest of the day. Nothing else need be said.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #8495
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I strongly dislike having someone pay for me. Obviously if we're spending a decent amount of time together to where it becomes a "you get this one, I'll get the next one" sort of thing, that's different. I've seen too many examples of women using men for free things, and too many examples of men using money as a way to control/get what they want out of women. It's such a turn off. I'm probably more biased against having someone pay than I should be, but it is what it is. Money, for me, is freedom to do what I want, when I want, how I want. If it's someone else's money on someone else's terms, that's not worth it to me.

Edit: That was kind of ranty and not quite on topic, but it irks me... I had so many friends in college who went out with the sole intention of getting men to buy them drinks.
Quite ranty.

You're also an apparent anomaly amongst your species, so this makes sense, to me.

1MOREMOD, more aliens are surfacing.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #8496
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Quite ranty.

You're also an apparent anomaly amongst your species, so this makes sense, to me.

1MOREMOD, more aliens are surfacing.
My best friend at work tells me that I have a penis. She says this is further evidenced by the fact that I respond to this by saying "yeah, a REALLY BIG penis!"
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #8497
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
But you got dem doe. Amirite?

I will be damned!
Yeah. When I was younger my triage would always be to show up on a first date in my dad's work truck. If anything was said, the date lasted about 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #8498
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:

Edit: That was kind of ranty and not quite on topic, but it irks me... I had so many friends in college who went out with the sole intention of getting men to buy them drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The internet can be closed for the rest of the day. Nothing else need be said.
Quote:
All of this.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #8499
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
My best friend at work tells me that I have a penis. She says this is further evidenced by the fact that I respond to this by saying "yeah, a REALLY BIG penis!"
All the better for fucking people's stereotypes and misconceptions.

Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #8500
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Money, for me, is freedom to do what I want, when I want, how I want.
I wish I could explain this succinctly to my millennial children. They have occasionally questioned me about why "making money" is seemingly so important to me. I have explained that there are a couple aspects to it:
- As a man of Gen X it is, for better or worse a societal version of keeping score. It is not about the money - it is about competitiveness. This is the stereotypical part, I guess, but I am not going to sugar coat the truth.
- It is about freedom and opportunity. I can be far more altruistic now than I could if I made 1/10th of what I do. My capacity to help others would be severely diminished.
- It is about THEIR freedom and opportunity too. It allows them to choose a path. If they choose to do something that doesn't make them a lot of money - that's fine - but I will do everything in my power to make sure that is a choice they get to make. Hopefully, they will choose something that makes them happy AND enables them to help others.

/rant
      04-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #8501
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I wish I could explain this succinctly to my millennial children. They have occasionally questioned me about why "making money" is seemingly so important to me. I have explained that there are a couple aspects to it:
- As a man of Gen X it is, for better or worse a societal version of keeping score. It is not about the money - it is about competitiveness. This is the stereotypical part, I guess, but I am not going to sugar coat the truth.
- It is about freedom and opportunity. I can be far more altruistic now than I could if I made 1/10th of what I do. My capacity to help others would be severely diminished.
- It is about THEIR freedom and opportunity too. It allows them to choose a path. If they choose to do something that doesn't make them a lot of money - that's fine - but I will do everything in my power to make sure that is a choice they get to make. Hopefully, they will choose something that makes them happy AND enables them to help others.

/rant
Perfection.

You and Biorin have closed the internet for the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #8502
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Society and entitlement have fucked the generalized concept of mainstream youth's appreciation and awareness of "money", and the perks that come along with it.

I grew up around a bunch of spoiled kids, many of which are probably on this forum. It's not news, unfortunately.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #8503
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Society and entitlement have fucked the generalized concept of mainstream youth's appreciation and awareness of "money", and the perks that come along with it.

I grew up around a bunch of spoiled kids, many of which are probably on this forum. It's not news, unfortunately.
What I always thought was interesting to witness were friends (in high school) who traveled around the world constantly, supporting charities in Tibet, volunteering in Argentina, etc., but looked down on money and/or people who didn't do the same. It's wonderful to volunteer your time, but don't act as if someone who cannot afford $1k roundtrip every couple of months is somehow less charitable.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #8504
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
What I always thought was interesting to witness were friends (in high school) who traveled around the world constantly, supporting charities in Tibet, volunteering in Argentina, etc., but looked down on money and/or people who didn't do the same. It's wonderful to volunteer your time, but don't act as if someone who cannot afford $1k roundtrip every couple of months is somehow less charitable.
Exactly. I was never privileged coming up, and can say that I am a more productive user and distributor of my finances, as a result.

What you mention is exactly what I see on social media, the infinite masquerade ball of overseas trips and lack of "sponsorship" mentions while the leg-humping-ness ensues. Craziness.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #8505
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:

Some people just like to do nice things for other people even though the person they are doing it for can well afford to do it themselves.

My father always told me that once you have a roof over your head and food in the fridge, money is for convenience and charity. jtodd_fl keep telling your kids, if it can sink into my thick skull, it can sink into anyone's.
      04-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #8506
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this is a very important aspect of giving to keep in perspective. It can hurt someone much more to give $20 than it hurts most people who give $2,000.

It almost always works out that people giving less are giving more of what they have to give, while people who give more tend to give less of what they have to give.
      04-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #8507
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

There is nothing wrong with a guy paying on a date.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #8508
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I think this is a very important aspect of giving to keep in perspective. It can hurt someone much more to give $20 than it hurts most people who give $2,000.

It almost always works out that people giving less are giving more of what they have to give, while people who give more tend to give less of what they have to give.
Kun-few-shus say.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #8509
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

I figured out very early how my friends that were hot girls could help me out. They would get guys that were so cheesy or did not take the hint to buy them drinks and hand them to me. It would out well for us. I rarely paid for drinks and it was funny how many girls like top shelf single malt. FWB has many meanings.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #8510
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Agreed. But, nothing wrong with a girl taking her guy out on a date as well.

First date, the guy should pay, open doors, give up coat, lay in puddle so girls shoes don't get wet, buy condoms, refrain from dutch ovens, sleep in the wet spot, and eat the breakfast she makes in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #8511
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Agreed. But, nothing wrong with a girl taking her guy out on a date as well.

First date, the guy should pay, open doors, give up coat, lay in puddle so girls shoes don't get wet, buy condoms, refrain from dutch ovens, sleep in the wet spot, and eat the breakfast she makes in the morning.
I loled.
      04-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #8512
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post

/rant
My worst nightmare is my sons becoming hipsters.
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #8513
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Hey, you gotta pay to play...somehow.

Pay for dinner for them to stay, pay for sex for them to go away (hookers).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #8514
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
My worst nightmare is my sons becoming hipsters.
My worst fear is my daughter marrying your hipster son!