BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #67
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Haha, new car, same old discussion. The F10 seems to be proving to be blistering fast, makes gobs of power, gets great MPG, cupholders rule??, but several of the reviews have stated that it is just missing the rawness or excitement of the old V10. Like the F10 just works too well, too easily. So with the new engine, effortless speed, I think DCT is the only option...well until they offer a slushbox.

If you love your stick, buy a E60 with its raging V10 and 7MPG.

I do find it odd that they say the MT is soo costly to develop and offer on this car but charge $2700 extra for DCT on the E92.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #68
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I don't get the US fixation on a manual M5. After all Ferrari don't offer a manual anymore?
No, Ferrari still does offer a traditional manual. While it is not available on the Italia, you can still get one on the 599 GTB and California.

Here is Ferrari's technical specification page for the 599 GTB. Look under the Transmission and Gearbox section and you'll see that it lists "Manual or F1; 6-gears+Reverse."

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...cal_Sheet.aspx

Here is the spec page for the California. The Gearbox section lists "F1, dual clutch 7 gears + Reverse" and "Manual 6 gears + Reverse."

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...cal_Sheet.aspx
      10-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #69
Augu$tu$
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Other countries would appreciate the manual as well. Some of the most negative feedback on the E60 reviews was the fact that it didn't come in a manual for the UK.

I had a manual pre-owned E60 that I sold. I got $7000 more for it just because it was a stick and was so rare. SMG and DCT transmissions date the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #70
leletyM3
HPF Stg2 640rwhp
Rep
Drives: HPF M3

Love the 6MT and the new F10 M5 but the side grill is not that attractive, will need to do something about that.....
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #71
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
I love just because of US, 6-speed stays alive. Completely opposite of what usually happens (US gets shafted of all the good options japan/europe gets in their own market).

It's surprising the engineer would be so annoyed with this. Sure it decreases performance but is there no more desire for the love of a traditional gearbox rowing car? He is the head engineer of M, i would expect him to be somewhat of a purist too (convincing BMW to put in a manual, not discouraging).

I hope enough manuals sell to keep justifying production into future generations. My bigger concern is if it disappears for the M5, M3 is next in line.

It would be sick if the X5M and X6M came in stick too
I wonder whether he is talking about straight line acceleration when he says "the driver is the question"? Maybe the safety programming with the DCT is easier because they know what the allowable operating parameters are as they created them. As to the US being the largest market for BMW and M cars. That is today. With the astonishingly quick rise of the economies of India and China and the sheer number of people in those countries, I doubt the US will be be driving (no pun intended) the course of vehicle development in 10 years for BMW and other luxury brands. Rolls Royce is already selling more cars into those markets than the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #72
mikael09
Registered
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: bmw e36 m52

Amazing car

This car isn't only cute but very comfortable to drive. I wonder when I could afford one.
Appreciate 0