Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #133
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
You IDIOT! You need to buy another kind of car! How in the world could you have made this choice! Squeaky brakes are part of the fun!
Exactly!

I do kinda like the squeeeeekieee brakes though! Got used to them quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #134
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Lmao here at this thread.

Btw, I love my M5 for the way it makes me feel when I drive it. Tires spinning, going sideways, passing people at will. All things that make me happy on my way to and from work.

04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #135
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisen View Post

Btw, I love my M5 for the way it makes me feel when I drive it. Tires spinning, going sideways, passing people at will. All things that make me happy on my way to and from work.

Oh hell yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #136
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'd drink her beach water.
lol!

I'll never catch yo on post count will I?

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #137
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisen View Post

This thread is fun! Gotta liven it up around here in the general forum like it is in the "M5 vs." section!

After all...it has been sort of well, just kinda, you know, "meh".

Last edited by ColdList; 04-20-2014 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #138
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep

Quote:
This thread is fun! Gotta liven it up around here in the general forum like it is in the "M5 vs." section!

After all...it has been sort of "meh".
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #139
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

I'm indifferent to the car I love the engine, dct, features, nav, comfort, but I miss raw power feeling, and a few other minor things which have me dead in the middle. Great car but it can and will not be for everyone.

That said MDM for the win! Traction control should only be turned on for sub 50 degree temps anything over 65 the car is planted even with the BMS... People are putting up sub 2 second 60ft rollouts at the track with 600whp... Ask a guy in the new shelby gt500 who probably has 580-610whp about traction.

I'd also say I like the car/dct enough to be intrigued to get back in one later if they ever crack the ecu open or have some real tuning options available.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #140
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I'm indifferent to the car I love the engine, dct, features, nav, comfort, but I miss raw power feeling, and a few other minor things which have me dead in the middle. Great car but it can and will not be for everyone.

That said MDM for the win! Traction control should only be turned on for sub 50 degree temps anything over 65 the car is planted even with the BMS... People are putting up sub 2 second 60ft rollouts at the track with 600whp... Ask a guy in the new shelby gt500 who probably has 580-610whp about traction.

I'd also say I like the car/dct enough to be intrigued to get back in one later if they ever crack the ecu open or have some real tuning options available.
Careful, you better not say anything bad about the M5! You'd be better off calling someone's sister a whore than say something bad about the M5!! It might get ugly quick.

Now, with that said, you REALLY love the entire car, not just the drive train, correct?

Psst, come over here so nobody can hear me........just say it's perfect or risk several days of punishment.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #141
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post

Careful, you better not say anything bad about the M5! You'd be better off calling someone's sister a whore than say something bad about the M5!! It might get ugly quick.

Now, with that said, you REALLY love the entire car, not just the drive train, correct?

Psst, come over here so nobody can hear me........just say it's perfect or risk several days of punishment.
I bought the M5 for the Butt Massagers myself. Oh and the Power Close Trunk, which is something not even the M6, M6GC, M3, or M4 gets.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #142
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep

Quote:
I bought the M5 for the Butt Massagers myself. Oh and the Power Close Trunk, which is something not even the M6, M6GC, M3, or M4 gets.
OK! Now you are talkin. I do love that butt massage.

Do you have the "beep beep beep" backup alarm (think dump truck in reverse) like my car when the trunk is auto closing? That's what makes me feel like a man!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #143
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone
Quote:
OK! Now you are talkin. I do love that butt massage.

Do you have the "beep beep beep" backup alarm (think dump truck in reverse) like my car when the trunk is auto closing? That's what makes me feel like a man!
Actually I got one better. I coded my M5 so that I can not only open my Power Close Trunk from the little button by the hood latch, but I can also close it! So sometimes while at a traffic light I'll push the button and randomly open and close the trunk all the while staying in my car. Oh the look on peoples faces.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #144
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Is this the kind of traction problem you guys are having?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=107962202462

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #145
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Rob, agreed 100%. My position on that is that most just cannot do that well in most situations. You, as a track guy-perhaps. However, I don't think you would ever argue that your RWD GT3 puts down power far better than the M5. Different cars yes but a point of reference.
Mike, sorry...not sure I follow. A rear engine RWD car actually does put down the power more effectively. Much more effectively, as a lot of weight sits over the rear tires.

Modulating the throttle on a turbo car is more challenging, I admit. I can't wait until all turbo cars offer torque fill like the P1, using electric motors. It's at that point that I'll be first in line for another turbo engine
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #146
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep

Quote:
Actually I got one better. I coded my M5 so that I can not only open my Power Close Trunk from the little button by the hood latch, but I can also close it! So sometimes while at a traffic light I'll push the button and randomly open and close the trunk all the while staying in my car. Oh the look on peoples faces.
So stupid! LOL. That is freakin hilarious!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #147
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8C Coupe

Quote:
oh My car doesn't have that Power Close Trunk I may sell my car
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #148
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
But isn't exactly that what some find thrilling? That they, the driver, have to balance throttle input in relation to available traction?

When F1 banned traction control some years ago it became much more clear which of the drivers that had better throttle control in the wet... The ban on traction control helped the good drivers whereas TC was an equalizer between drivers with great throttle control and those that didn't have that.

Everyone can get a GTR off the line using LC and get it fast out of a corner relying on it's AWD. It's very effective and quick. But doing the same in a RWD car gives more satisfaction to many, because it needs more involvement and perhaps skills from the driver. And is exactly what others find frustrating, because there is power resources left unused due to lack of traction. They would rather like to be able to put the pedal to the metal and get full use of all the power at all times. I see both sides of that view. It's personal preferences and possibly not a "right or wrong" situation...

Perhaps the same reason the 911 GT3 is RWD and the Turbo is AWD...? I guess the GT3 is more of a drivers car that requires more from the driver to do the same lap times as the Turbo?
Everybody cracks me up with these F1 car comparisons-what?!

First of all-F1 cars are FAST but they don't LAUNCH out of the hole. They are LOW TORQUE and they certainly put their power down right off the line and in a very linear manner they accelerate to ridiculously high speeds (think E60 M5):
[u2b]
[/u2b]

Secondly, the OP said the M5 does not effectively put down power to the wheels in a way that inspires confidence. He is right. It burns the tires very easily. This discussion wasn't about how different people prefer it. It was about the OP pointing this out and his not being so fond of it. He gets attacked for it and told that he should "get a different car" or "should have known better". He never said he hated or didn't want the car. I don't think I have ever purchased a car and loved everything about it. All of you who say "well, that's the fun of it" are reinforcing his point. It does not put the power down well. It SPINS very very easily. We all know it. We all have one. We all can just go right out in the driveway, fire it up, stomp on the gas and burn the wheels-meaning that you CANNOT effectively put all the power down to the road. We can sit here all day and point out areas where it can be made to do it well but if you have to do that then the car does not actually put power down well. It merely works in certain conditions. It also does not do it well in turns (so here we deviate from the claim that the OP and anyone else who opposes the "fan at all costs" view is talking about 0-60 only-which I find HYSTERICAL because just look back at all the threads where everyone WAS talking about the 0-60 times of the M5. It seems to be discussed when it suits people) because it LEANS heavily under the weight and the tires do not stay planted when you add a little throttle. Spinning tires=not putting power down. It does not always put the power down well from slow rolls either. I always felt that my M5 was just right there on the edge of being reckless for lack of a better term. You have to be very careful to not let it get away from you. YES-it can be fun and some prefer that-GREAT. Doesn't mean the OP is an idiot because he points out the challenges that do NOT appeal to him.

The car is a MAGNIFICENT Grand-Tourer and let's face it, GTs are not really meant for drag races, hard curves or TRACK. Even at BMW Performance school they tell you they don't adore the M5 on the track. It is a heavy car with a powerful engine that is meant to be a powerful mash and go car. It just doesn't fit into the "sports" category or the "luxury" category completely. Sort of a mix but more towards luxury with massive power. Reminds me of my Ferrari California in a big way, except that I think the M5 is actually more fun to drive in some ways. The car has insane throttle response but I am not throwing it hard into a turn. It does however cruise very well and is very comfortable and very pretty to look at.

And does the GT3 really require more of the driver to put down better lap times? Who knows? Different car, different suspension and really not meant for the road no matter how "compliant" Porsche tells you that it is. The Turbo is the road car and frankly is the perfect example of what a road car should be. It has massive horse power and insane torque. It is 100% usable ALL of the time. You jump on the throttle and you feel the Gs pinning you to the seat. It corners well, brakes well-basically exactly what you should want in a road car. I am imagining you guys talking about how you love spinning those tires and kicking the rear ends out-REALLY? I did this in my 1980 Camaro in HS. Are you guys really the ones doing fishtails everywhere? C'mon. I can't at all believe that when you want to pull out into a traffic lane with cars moving at decent speeds that you wouldn't really like to know that you can hit that gas and get in there without fighting wheel spin. The M6 does not allow this. You sort of give it some gas and hop out there hoping not to spin and then gradually lay into it to get going. It's just not confidence inspiring.

OUTSTANDING cars and certainly better than most cars on the road-hands down best in class but it is not perfect. The power to the road issue is just one of the challenges with it. EVERY car has it's shortcomings.
Yes and yes...

BTW, I have said at least two times in this thread that there are valid arguments for both views. And I have never said that the OP was an idiot I just had a misguided joke on the marque/marquee thing (even though a lot of you went further than me afterwards...).

Your opinion obviously is very valid as you have experience with both 911 and M5. But apart from the obvious fact that it overpowers it rear wheels, it's still subjective if some prefer that over a AWD cars superior traction at ALL times...

BTW it seems the M5 ring taxi manages to go fast round the Ring day after day in a efficient and fun way
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #149
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
Mike, sorry...not sure I follow. A rear engine RWD car actually does put down the power more effectively. Much more effectively, as a lot of weight sits over the rear tires.

Modulating the throttle on a turbo car is more challenging, I admit. I can't wait until all turbo cars offer torque fill like the P1, using electric motors. It's at that point that I'll be first in line for another turbo engine
Of course it does. Just saying that it' sot just AWD that is the solution. Other factros including weight distribution, suspension, etc. can also be the difference. In other words, it's related also to design and engineering.

I will be right there in line too when we can have those sorts of turbos!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #150
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes and yes...

BTW, I have said at least two times in this thread that there are valid arguments for both views. And I have never said that the OP was an idiot I just had a misguided joke on the marque/marquee thing (even though a lot of you went further than me afterwards...).

Your opinion obviously is very valid as you have experience with both 911 and M5. But apart from the obvious fact that it overpowers it rear wheels, it's still subjective if some prefer that over a AWD cars superior traction at ALL times...

BTW it seems the M5 ring taxi manages to go fast round the Ring day after day in a efficient and fun way
lol! Yeah sorry. I wasn't actually referencing your comments in most of my response. I was merging a bunch of stuff into one response. Prob. shouldn't have quoted you.

I thought the Marquee comment was hilarious!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #151
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
On my M5 I had the opening and closing of the trunk coded o the key remote. You rookie!-hahaha!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #152
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Funny how you got attacked. Fact of the matter is that you are CORRECT. It is wildly out of control when you try to put the power down. All of these "super drivers" claiming to have such skill to control the car and advising that you attend driving school, etc. are experiencing EXACTLY what you are. I have had an F10 M5 and currently am F12 M6 cab and pretty much every time I drive the M6 I get the same feeling. People "adapt" to what they drive and learn to overlook the flaws. Many will argue until they are blue in the face to defend the car, right or wrong. Remember the MotorTrend track comparison against the AMG, 911, etc, where Randy Probst said "The only car I didn't want to take around the track again was the M6"? Yeah, I found myself defending the car. Now I get it. Fact is, it is an issue. The new M cars are wonderful cars and have ridiculously good characteristics but this is truly a flaw. BMW has not figured out how to make the power usable at low end. Driving the M car side by side with a powerful AWD car makes it off the charts noticeable. I get put of my Porsche TTS (I know this comparison will irritate some but nonetheless it is very much a reality) that literally jumps off the line and sticks in turns harder as you mash the throttle and then into the M6 and I find it to be almost as if it is completely out of control. Constant modulation of the throttle is necessary to avoid wheel spin from a stop unless you very gradually apply throttle off the line and in curves-forget it. Then there's Launch "Control". No "Control" about it. BMW has not gotten the power to ground formula figured out in this car. Great car but with this much power AWD is needed. Would vastly improve the drivability. BMW has the problem of added weight however. I suspect this is the actual reason for not going to AWD rather than BMWs claim that they want the car to remain a "true RWD driving car." It's not a track car. Far too heavy. Need to take advantage of its strength-POWER! AWD would do that instantly and guaranteed everyone opposing your view would trade their RWD the day it was available.
Umm... that is a big NO. I had a 600+whp full-bolt on GT-R running E85. I didn't like using launch control (it was too abusive on the driveline for my taste)...but even without launch control I was able to run a 10.8 at the track and datalogged a 2.8s 0-60mph (again WITHOUT launch control). I traded the car for the M5. But how can that be? The car dead hooked, even without launch control it was cutting 1.7s 60' times. I should have been in love with the AWD...but in reality it became boring (although the only thing not boring was wondering when the DCT transmission was going to blow up). Believe it or not, I WANTED RWD and I wanted all the creature comforts that a BMW M5 has..even if it comes with the weight penalty. It is far from being a perfect car (I still think my E39 M5 rates closer to relative perfection)..but in my opinion, it is the best combination of styling, performance, drivetrain, comfort, and amenities currently available. Then again, I also value rolling acceleration performance over standing start acceleration. I go to track more to see the trap speed than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #153
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Yes and yes...

lol! Yeah sorry. I wasn't actually referencing your comments in most of my response. I was merging a bunch of stuff into one response. Prob. shouldn't have quoted you.

I thought the Marquee comment was hilarious!
I don't think the OP found my comments hilarious though...

No prob Cold
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #154
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Umm... that is a big NO. I had a 600+whp full-bolt on GT-R running E85. I didn't like using launch control (it was too abusive on the driveline for my taste)...but even without launch control I was able to run a 10.8 at the track and datalogged a 2.8s 0-60mph (again WITHOUT launch control). I traded the car for the M5. But how can that be? The car dead hooked, even without launch control it was cutting 1.7s 60' times. I should have been in love with the AWD...but in reality it became boring (although the only thing not boring was wondering when the DCT transmission was going to blow up). Believe it or not, I WANTED RWD and I wanted all the creature comforts that a BMW M5 has..even if it comes with the weight penalty. It is far from being a perfect car (I still think my E39 M5 rates closer to relative perfection)..but in my opinion, it is the best combination of styling, performance, drivetrain, comfort, and amenities currently available. Then again, I also value rolling acceleration performance over standing start acceleration. I go to track more to see the trap speed than anything else.
All of that is great but no one can argue that the M5 likes to spin. You are comparing to a car you modded. Not arguing that the M5 is a great car. That was never the discussion. Just that it doesn't put the power down well on the road. I don;'t think the OP meant on a drag strip.

OK, all but one guy will order the AWD-lol!

Appreciate 0