M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #177
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8C Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Jb4 connected to the m4 logging tonight for Terry I'm kinda fast again YAY!!!
lol...
Then I need to get extra power ... oh wait still I have more skills than you
but seriously, let me know how fast/powerful your car will be after this tuning. I need to take it to account for the car would be the M6 stablemate
Gone : 2016 F82 Austin Yellow M4 Competition - 6MT
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #178
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Thanks Boots please keep us posted
No worries. I will. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #179
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
BTW, I met a kid driving M4 at stoplight last night and gave him a little lesson not to even bother himself to play with big monster S63tu

Anytime your ready unless you have cp package, dps, bms, then stay away
Hey man don't be scared ,my M6 is slow
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #180
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

I have the Dinan CAI, exhaust and D-Tronics Stage 2 coming for my M6 GC. I will be comparing to a good friend who has a stock M5CP and will report back.

19 Aston Martin Vantage - Magnetic Silver - Lemoned
16 Porsche 991 Turbo - White/Black - Gone but missed!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #181
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
I have the Dinan CAI, exhaust and D-Tronics Stage 2 coming for my M6 GC. I will be comparing to a good friend who has a stock M5CP and will report back.
2nd gear 40 roll lol please god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Hey man don't be scared ,my M6 is slow
Yeahhhh right lol its pulling nice but up top is still meh :/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #182
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Here is something I found on the website that I don't think was there before
So did you retest with the Vbox with the airbox issue sorted out ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #183
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Yes and it looks like I have lost the HP gains somehow. See the thread here starting at post #18.

The car is going in at 7am tomorrow to get the Noelle downpipes on and I am going to have them check the DTronics to make sure it's not in bypass mode. Then if it's not, have them put it in bypass mode and restart the car and then take it out of bypass mode and restart the car which apparently resets the DTronics box and gets it to adapt all over again.

Unfortunately, any new numbers are going to include the Noelle downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #184
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Yes and it looks like I have lost the HP gains somehow. See the thread here starting at post #18.

The car is going in at 7am tomorrow to get the Noelle downpipes on and I am going to have them check the DTronics to make sure it's not in bypass mode. Then if it's not, have them put it in bypass mode and restart the car and then take it out of bypass mode and restart the car which apparently resets the DTronics box and gets it to adapt all over again.

How or why is your Dinan tune going into "bypass" mode ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #185
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

They owe you something for what you paid... Regardless if you can afford it. Same with my clamps when I dropped 10K+ on my 335i in their parts the intake wouldn't stay clamped [kept my car just shy of 1 month].
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #186
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They owe you something for what you paid... Regardless if you can afford it. Same with my clamps when I dropped 10K+ on my 335i in their parts the intake wouldn't stay clamped [kept my car just shy of 1 month].
I am pretty sure this is just a technical glitch. Look at the two runs where the airbox had the hole and I got the CEL. Those show HP gains of 60-70hp and my car would have stayed with Brian's in our little roll experiments if it had performed that way.

I think when all this gets worked out I will have 675-680 hp with the downpipes, intake, DTronic module and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #187
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:

Oh wow , yeah it is doing absolutely nothing on those 119 runs , there has to be something wrong . I know I have an M6 CP and not an M5 but with BMS /intake/DP's in 90 degree heat + 2000 DA I am trapping 130mph using MDM mash and go no LC. Given their claimed power ratings you should be at minimum 125 trap .
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #188
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
How or why is your Dinan tune going into "bypass" mode ?
Not certain it is going there but that it may have inadvertently been reset to that mode when the airbox got fixed. Boss330 also suggested that the DME might be fighting the changes from the DTronic because the air is different but Dan McNiff at Dinan says he doesn't think so because they recondition all the airflow data before the ECU has a look at it.

Something has happened to eliminate the HP gains. The trap speeds and ET demonstrate that. I just wish I had been able to get more data while I had the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #189
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not certain it is going there but that it may have inadvertently been reset to that mode when the airbox got fixed. Boss330 also suggested that the DME might be fighting the changes from the DTronic because the air is different but Dan McNiff at Dinan says he doesn't think so because they recondition all the airflow data before the ECU has a look at it.

Something has happened to eliminate the HP gains. The trap speeds and ET demonstrate that. I just wish I had been able to get more data while I had the CEL.
Ask to watch them reset it if you can. I don't know the process maybe Scott or Dan can walk you through what it looks like to see if there is any carelessness going on.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #190
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:

I am far from being an expert; very far in-fact; though learning allot on this board and loving it.

Anyway could it be in anyway related to the fact that DINAN has "more control" than other basic piggybacks that is throwing something off since it really doesn't have much control of the ECU itself.

Maybe what makes the BMS tune so effective is its simplicity. Not having to worry about being California approved etc it basically just increases boost and provides more power. The Dinan seems to have more connections to more sensors.

Take it easy on me guys if this makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #191
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
I am far from being an expert; very far in-fact; though learning allot on this board and loving it.

Anyway could it be in anyway related to the fact that DINAN has "more control" than other basic piggybacks that is throwing something off since it really doesn't have much control of the ECU itself.

Maybe what makes the BMS tune so effective is its simplicity. Not having to worry about being California approved etc it basically just increases boost and provides more power. The Dinan seems to have more connections to more sensors.

Take it easy on me guys if this makes no sense.
I doubt it, but there have been cases of techs screwing up and people not actually getting what they're paying for. I've yet to come across something where it didn't actually work [beyond a defective part]. Intake, Exhaust you can see you got it... This is much tricker.

This is why a baseline dyno could have been so very useful
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #192
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Interesting what the tech tells you.
I just installed a Dtronics kit today on a M6 and programed it also.
There no "bypass" or any way to default the ECU to a "stock" setting.
You have to register the "blank" Dinan computer before you can program the selected file to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #193
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
Interesting what the tech tells you.
I just installed a Dtronics kit today on a M6 and programed it also.
There no "bypass" or any way to default the ECU to a "stock" setting.
You have to register the "blank" Dinan computer before you can program the selected file to it.
If you don't program it, then it's effectively a pass through device I am pretty sure. Do you have a tech manual from Dinan? I would love to have a copy. I will see what the BMW tech tells me about the bypass in the morning because I am going to request to talk directly to him instead of through the SA. The same guy works on my car every time so that is a plus.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 08-05-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #194
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This is why a baseline dyno could have been so very useful
Not unless I was to do one now and I have already inquired around about it and no one around here has one working I can use. Even so, what I expect is that I would see stock numbers. I think the Vbox is useful enough for what I am doing and it's repeatable anytime I want to and it's also not so subjective. The benefit of doing what I am is that I can make a lot of runs and average them to see what the actual changes amount to. This is clearly where the two I did with the open airbox stand out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #195
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not unless I was to do one now and I have already inquired around about it and no one around here has one working I can use. Even so, what I expect is that I would see stock numbers. I think the Vbox is useful enough for what I am doing and it's repeatable anytime I want to and it's also not so subjective. The benefit of doing what I am is that I can make a lot of runs and average them to see what the actual changes amount to. This is clearly where the two I did with the open airbox stand out.
I just meant for your eyes and or dinans.. Hopefully they've offered you some resolutions either a new dtronics sent out, or possible refund if this continues.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #196
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just meant for your eyes and or dinans.. Hopefully they've offered you some resolutions either a new dtronics sent out, or possible refund if this continues.
Yeah, I would go with a replacement but I can't imagine what might have messed it up unless it got damaged during the airbox work which is a possibility. This is of course why they have the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #197
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would go with a replacement but I can't imagine what might have messed it up unless it got damaged during the airbox work which is a possibility. This is of course why they have the warranty.
I just meant if they say well you gained some HP and we don't advertise x amount promised just "Up to" and oops your past the refund timeframe Tough S*.

But yes careless techs or mistakes are often and personally I experienced lengthy issues with all but my m3's dinan installs.

The 335i stage1 flash [yes I paid 1299 for 60crank hp back in the day, before I knew cobb/jb4] took them over a week because of computer issues... My FMIC [i said intake earlier ] install was popping clamps cause of the cobb boost that took about a month.

Last edited by M5Rlz; 08-05-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #198
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If you don't program it, then it's effectively a pass through device I am pretty sure. Do you have a tech manual from Dinan? I would love to have a copy. I will see what the BMW tech tells me about the bypass in the morning because I am going to request to talk directly to him instead of through the SA. The same guy works on my car every time so that is a plus.
Correct. If the unit is not programed. You can still drive your car with no issues.
Appreciate 0