M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-20-2022, 02:23 AM   #1
extra
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

How safe are stage 1 tunes? (Mission Performance in particular)

Just bought an F10 M5 today. Was looking for a stock car to serve as a daily driver and had no plans of modification for the sake of reliability. Ended up coming to a deal on an M5 with a Mission Performance stage 1 tune. Stock intakes and downpipes, but has the 3.5 Bar MAP sensors and spark plugs one heat range colder. As said, reliability is my priority here. A stock M5 is plenty fast for a daily, I could care less if it's tuned. Should I just let it be? Do I have anything to be concerned about?

Last edited by extra; 05-21-2022 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #2
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Does it burn oil? up to date on all maintenance? I dont know anything about that particular tune, but some of the good tuners tunes run better than the stock tune(no more random knock sensor readings, smoother idle, etc). IMO if you dont lay into It all the time I dont think a stage 1 is anything to be concerned about. Unless the motor is already unhealthy then you are screwed anyways. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 02:17 AM   #3
extra
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
Does it burn oil? up to date on all maintenance? I dont know anything about that particular tune, but some of the good tuners tunes run better than the stock tune(no more random knock sensor readings, smoother idle, etc). IMO if you dont lay into It all the time I dont think a stage 1 is anything to be concerned about. Unless the motor is already unhealthy then you are screwed anyways. lol
Not sure on oil consumption yet, doing a change with liqui moly 5w40 next week and will track from there. Just had all 8 injectors/mafs/maps/plugs done within the past 10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Mission seems to have a pretty good reputation in general. Given it already has colder plugs which, I'm assuming, are gapped tighter, I'd keep it as is and just watch it. Main thing seems to be to not stomp on it from low RPMs.

You could also get Bimmercode and an ENET cable to do basic data logging to check AFR, misfires, etc. Doesn't poll as frequently as BM3 but much cheaper.
Appreciate 0