M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

11-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
magsmagsmags
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCI

Oil Analysis report - help please!

Hi folks. Yes I know there’s a loooot of these threads. And I know for everyone that says replace your bearings there’s another 10 who say it’s not common stop worrying. But nonetheless, hoping for some guidance here.

Car is a 2014 F10 M5 LCI. It’s covered 65k miles and has a full BMW service history with intervals of around 6-8k. The last oil service was 6000 miles ago by the previous owner. I’ve changed it recently and sent a sample off to millers for analysis. Unfortunately they’re not as detailed as black stone. The report is below. They’re reporting high levels of copper and aluminium. I know of course this can well be rod bearings, but after some email exchanges and digging it can also be caused by additives. The car has also had some engine work in the past with BMW (unfortunately I’m not 100% sure what, I’ve asked BMW and have a report but they won’t release the invoice to me as it wasn’t in my name).

Based on the above I’m thinking it’s either…
1. The bearings are worn - most likely no doubt
2. The copper and aluminium is as a result of wearing in from said engine work and may reduce on next change / analysis
3. Additives by previous owner have contributed to readings
Or 4. Any combination of the above.

Just looking for some advice really. I’ll probably do them in the near future anyway. I intend to keep the car for a long time, but equally not a fan of throwing money at something for no reason - obviously.

I have asked Millers for some more feedback as I’m quite disappointed in the feedback on the report. I’ve seen black stone reports where - just for example the copper may be high but lead is low and they have said this is unlikely to be bearings as both would be high, and therefore is likely an additive causing the issue and to check again at next oil change. Is anyone able to shed any light into my report who understands the components better than me?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oil report .pdf (296.6 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by magsmagsmags; 11-17-2022 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
AHall981.50
      11-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #2
magsmagsmags
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCI

Just to follow this up - I've had their oil analyst respond to me with some updates

His view was this

1. Copper is still within normal range for the mileage on the oil He seems confident that it's likely a result of previous running in from the engine work i mentioned and has advised a re-test in a few thousand miles and would excpect this to drop

2. Aluminium is likely either pistons or dirty air - as it happens, the car had K&N filters which i removed but one of them (dont ask how) had basically no actual filtering element left - it was just mesh. They were dirty and very old so it's been getting unfiltered air for a while. After i confirmed this, he said this is the most likely cause and again to re-sample and check.

Welcome any more advice
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

You've had unfiltered air coming into a bank so if engine is running fine putting the standard filter boxes back on I'd just run it as normal until the next oil change and do another oil analysis then checking the old oil filter for any signs of metal filings.
Appreciate 0