Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
My "boo-boo" wasn't that bad. Visually mine looks OK at a quick glance, but a grab with your bare hands reveals that the top, smooth layer of leather has been tarnished. It feels a little rough, but is is still black. My car is a non-M and I am interested in getting mine redone with Nappa leather with tri-color stitching. Do you know if Coby can redo the wheel in leather? Or do they only deal with alcantara?
I don't actually know if they can do leather, but by the looks of it, I am guessing not. But I'm sure that someone else out there in the world can do leather.
There is a guy in Latvia that some of the non-M guys have been using to do custom steering wheels. Upgraded leather, flat bottoms, combination of colors and textures (perforated leather, alcantara, etc). Just looking at different options. I know it isn't normally characteristic of a true sports sedan, but really want to get the top and bottom portion of my wheel done to match my anthracite trim (sort of like Lexus uses wood trim on the top and bottom) and the rest in perforated leather with tri-color stitching.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Dave, are you going to have them do something custom? I can't remember if your interior is silverstone but it might be cool to mix up a little with some different colors. Maybe even some M tri-color leather just for fun!

Thanks for the pics.... I do see what you mean about the boo boo. Just too much pressure or the wrong cleaner?
Just too much pressure honestly. There was a lot of dirt up there and I was using Lexol as always, great product really. I just thought that I was wiping off a lot of dirt when really I was grinding the leather away, it was pretty worn to begin with though.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #25
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There is a guy in Latvia that some of the non-M guys have been using to do custom steering wheels. Upgraded leather, flat bottoms, combination of colors and textures (perforated leather, alcantara, etc). Just looking at different options. I know it isn't normally characteristic of a true sports sedan, but really want to get the top and bottom portion of my wheel done to match my anthracite trim (sort of like Lexus uses wood trim on the top and bottom) and the rest in perforated leather with tri-color stitching.
That's pretty cool. I actually like some cool designs too that are on other cars. Like the OEM wheel that comes on the LCi refreshed 2014 Audi R8's with the sides of the wheel in perforated leather and a flat bottom, but I honestly love the standard Nappa leather that comes on the M5 and M6. I've never had Alcantara before, which is why I decided to try it. If I don't like it, I can just sell it and keep the new Leather wheel that I ordered. This is the plan anyways. Definitely lots of possibilities out there though.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #26
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a pic of a wheel that I really like. I wouldn't do the flat bottom, but love everything else about this wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Here is a pic of a wheel that I really like. I wouldn't do the flat bottom, but love everything else about this wheel.
That is badass. Must cost a lot though! Lol!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #28
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
That is badass. Must cost a lot though! Lol!
Yes, that is a pricey one. But others are getting wheels made without the CF, for about $500. Custom colors, perforated leather, alcantara, custom strips at 12 o clock position etc. All cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #29
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is a pricey one. But others are getting wheels made without the CF, for about $500. Custom colors, perforated leather, alcantara, custom strips at 12 o clock position etc. All cool stuff.
Yep, I hear ya. I sent my wheel off to be refurbished yesterday. Will hopefully be done either next week or the week after. I will post pix when I get it back in. Should be cool.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Where the heck did my steering wheel go?! Gonna be hard to drive like this! Lol!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #31
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Looks like you are ready to fly off in a winged beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #32
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

That reminds me of the episode on American Top Gear where they made one of the guys (I think it was Adam) drive without a steering wheel and only a set of vise grips in an old mail jeep.

The others were driving cars with power steering pump that were disabled, but since Adam had a car with a manual steering setup...

BTW Dave, saw your other thread and your new wheel looks great!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
That's pretty cool. I actually like some cool designs too that are on other cars. Like the OEM wheel that comes on the LCi refreshed 2014 Audi R8's with the sides of the wheel in perforated leather and a flat bottom, but I honestly love the standard Nappa leather that comes on the M5 and M6. I've never had Alcantara before, which is why I decided to try it. If I don't like it, I can just sell it and keep the new Leather wheel that I ordered. This is the plan anyways. Definitely lots of possibilities out there though.
here's an example of the guy's work from Latvia
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #34
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hope my wheel doesn't get worn like that after 60K+ miles! I think maybe holding the steering wheel while driving has an affect also, I hold mine at 3 and 9 o'clock position and don't really move around too much unless I'm having some fun... drifting or donuts !!
Good luck with that Alcantara idea and hope it works out for you, would love to see some pictures if you do that.
Appreciate 0