BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Competition Package

Who has it / who doesn't? Noticeable? Regrets?

Does the other exhaust actually make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey

If I was buying a car I would probably get it, but since i have an even better aftermarket exhaust and I have Dinan sway bars, I don't have any regrets.

The only issue with the base car in my opinion are exhaust and body roll. I have solved Both.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Exhaust

For me the exhaust is only 1 small element.....its the handling, which is crisper, sharper and offers considerably more precision. The steering which is quicker and more immediate....the throttle response, with extended torque curve and of course the new diff., all of which make the car more effective at carving along narrow, twisting B roads. I've owned several M cars and for me, the Competition Pack adds the required precision and on-its-toes response that I've come to love and expect from BMW Motorsport road cars

Last edited by SteveC; 01-06-2016 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Check out this review, which I find gorgeous BTW.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post

I had LCI M5 for 2 years then replaced by M5 with Competition package and that's the way M5 should have been out of the gate! It's a shame that you have to shell more than 6K for what certainly seems to be must have M5 tenets or options if you will! From lower stance, louder "Much louder" exhaust , to the most important of all better traction and different torque curve which I am enjoying most after the exhaust !

But be prepared for a harsher ride that never bothers me, but I believe I may have something wrong with my B&O because they rattle and not sure due to ZCP on the car or because they need to be looked at!

I loved my previous LCI M5 and I would give it 7/10 while this easy 8.5/10 which is quite a leap in terms of what an M5 should be!

Don't believe me read reviews and watch videos! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I had LCI M5 for 2 years then replaced by M5 with Competition package and that's the way M5 should have been out of the gate! It's a shame that you have to shell more than 6K for what certainly seems to be must have M5 tenets or options if you will! From lower stance, louder "Much louder" exhaust , to the most important of all better traction and different torque curve which I am enjoying most after the exhaust !

But be prepared for a harsher ride that never bothers me, but I believe I may have something wrong with my B&O because they rattle and not sure due to ZCP on the car or because they need to be looked at!

I loved my previous LCI M5 and I would give it 7/10 while this easy 8.5/10 which is quite a leap in terms of what an M5 should be!

Agree but it's about the shareholders - BMW's marketing department is genius and they'll scrape every last penny out of your pockets to appeal to consumer egos.
      01-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Have it, love it, no regrets unless you count not being able to buy PSS tires - but guess that applies to all F10's.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:

It's harsher ride i was scared of and stayed away from comp pack. Previously, i had E90 M3 with M performance exhaust and while it sounded heavenly and drove beautiful, the harsh ride almost made me to hate the car.
So, I am thinking if I bought f10 M5 with cp pack, would I also feel the same way as I felt for my M3?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:

It's harsher ride i was scared of and stayed away from comp pack. Previously, i had E90 M3 with M performance exhaust and while it sounded heavenly and drove beautiful, the harsh ride almost made me to hate the car.
So, I am thinking if I bought f10 M5 with cp pack, would I also feel the same way as I felt for my M3?
No. It's a longer wheelbase. Day and night difference between M3 and M5 ride. M5 ride in comfort mode is super smooth. I almost didn't get the comp package because where I live, roads get very rough in rains and winter. My E90 was bone jarring. M5 with comp package in comfort mode is a remarkable improvement. My wife loves the SUV ride feel but she has never for once complained about the ride quality in M5.

Ride quality scores of cars I have driven in NYC (1 is bone jarring and 10 is silky smooth comfortable)
M5: 8
E90: 3/4 - I hated driving this car here.
E46 (not M3 and non sport): 6/7
'14 MDX: 8/9
'16 XC90: 9
'14 Cayenne: 7/8. Had sport package and was very stiff
'14 550i: 7: had run flats which are terrible for the ride quality
'13: 535i Sport package: 7. Same thing as 550
'14 Porsche Turbo S: 6/7
MB GL (believe it was 13 or 14 - whichever year they changed the tail lights): 9
'15 E63 AMG: comfort mode same as M5. Sport / race mode: ridiculous uncomfortable.
'98 Accord: 9 - yes tough to believe but this car's suspension is so forgiving (and body roll!)
'05 Explorer: 9/10
'89 Cutlas Sierra: 10. What bumps?

I also drove a UHaul once when I moved to NY. But can't remember anything about the ride except the massive rattling and shaking and I being sh#% scared driving that giant thing in traffic!

Get the comp package!

Hope this helps.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Right now I have he F80 and the ride is pretty shitty. You feel every single little bump in the road. Is it better than that?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
mr_djurgarden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 F90

I upgraded my 2013 M5 to a new 2015 with Competion Package.

I love it, so much better in every aspect
handling, performance, exhaust and so on ..

Please take a look at

------------------------
2018 M5 F90
2015 M5 F10 Competition Package
2012 M5 F10
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

I have only ever driven one F10 M5: Mine. And it has the comp package. So I have no idea how a 'normal' M5 drives. Nor do I wanna find out as my comp package is tight and awesome! Love it love it.

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'd definitely do it again. The only thing I don't like about it occasionally is ride quality. With the DDC set to comfort, the spring/strut stiffness doesn't seem to be well matched (too little dampening and too much rebound). Putting it in sport solves this majority of the time since the struts are in a pseudo Auto Mode. Sport Plus is quite firm but not unpleasant, though passengers might not be as understanding.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #14
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey

I have the comp package. In comparison to the base model, the way it takes corners is a bit better. The extra horsepower is pretty nice. But then I put a Dinan Stage 2 kit on and now it's better all over.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #15
ShikaSenbei
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F95 X5MC

I definitely like the ZCP on mine. I tend to be mostly in Sport mode but yes, for longer rides Comfort mode is the way to go and just feels like a gentle cruiser to me.
Appreciate 0