Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
The Dane
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2015 m5 cp

Tried the exhaust valve mod, now what

I wired the exhaust flaps open on my 15 competition expecting a little more sound.

I was wrong.

The cold start was epic loud, like shaking building loud, and lower rpms was much louder then before, actually not a moderat difference, but a lot louder.

Soo much that there is a big drone problem now, almost sounds like there is a subwoffer back there radiating low frq bass notes, and its like pressure in the ears.

Other problem is that its only the low rpm`s that benefit this mod, above 3000rpm its the same as before.

Now the good stuff, static reving not finally sounds prober menacing, like somekind of pluck have been removed, and the overall feel of the car now is more like driving something special.

The mod must go because of the drone problem, but what are my choices if i want more sound but no drone, and a tad more agrresivnes in the higher rmps, without spending stupid money on a akrapovic system ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Fast.F10
Extruding Elements
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
2016 BMW M5 F10  [0.00]
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772003
2006 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
^^If he doesn’t like the flap mod because of drone, he will hate the Soul. I’ve had both and the nonexistent (IMO) flap mod drone is nothing compared to the Soul setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
autoxautox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 2015 Comp

Did you also disable the fake exhaust noise? Maybe the fake noise from the speakers is the droning noise?

While it is a bit of a pain to connect up and open an app to make the flaps open, I use bimmerlink to open the flaps and turn off the fake noise when I want pure good exhaust on my 15 comp then leave it normal (don't start up the app) on days I don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #5
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
I wired the exhaust flaps open on my 15 competition expecting a little more sound.

I was wrong.

The cold start was epic loud, like shaking building loud, and lower rpms was much louder then before, actually not a moderat difference, but a lot louder.

Soo much that there is a big drone problem now, almost sounds like there is a subwoffer back there radiating low frq bass notes, and its like pressure in the ears.

Other problem is that its only the low rpm`s that benefit this mod, above 3000rpm its the same as before.

Now the good stuff, static reving not finally sounds prober menacing, like somekind of pluck have been removed, and the overall feel of the car now is more like driving something special.

The mod must go because of the drone problem, but what are my choices if i want more sound but no drone, and a tad more agrresivnes in the higher rmps, without spending stupid money on a akrapovic system ?

if you want sound, get downpipes and chop the muffler off. cold start then needs to be programmed off bc then its too loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:

I was wrong.

soul bypass with stock downpipes and unplug the ASD / symposer and that will be the sound and no drone youre looking for
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:13 AM   #7
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I unplugged my asd and still had drone
Didnt find it made much difference
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
SSJAR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

I went with ExhaustMeister. If you search the threads you can read some reviews. When I bought my M5 it was straight piped which sounded cool, but very loud on cold start and did not want to wake the family every time I left the house early.

I bought the standard comp pack exhaust and then added exhaustmeister. I can switch the valves to open when I want that extra sound but then keep it tame when I don't feel like it. Exhaustmeister was easy to install and I added the buttons to two of my garage door openers to actuate the valves on and off.

As a side note, when the car was straight piped the drone was terrible on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
The Dane
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Thanks for all re replays, I looked at the exaustmeister, but the page does no long excist:
I found a store on ebay that sells them, but the link from ebay store to the exaustmeister does not work.

I dont like spending money in something that has zero afterservice.

The soul exaust seem like the right choice, also because it saves alot of weight. Only problem is that what i really want is the akropovic cat back system, but there is no way of justifing the money it costs

Last edited by The Dane; 11-22-2020 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: dobbel post
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
The Dane
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Thanks for all replays, I looked at the exaustmeister, but the page does no long excist:
I found a store on ebay that sells them, but the link from ebay store to the exaustmeister site does not work.

I dont like spending money in something that has zero afterservice.

The soul exaust seem like the right choice, also because it saves alot of weight. Only problem is that what i really want is the akropovic cat back system, but there is no way of justifing the money it costs HAHA
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ Yup, Akrapovic are the dearest of exhausts made from titanium which justifies their high price.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
F10poor
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 2015 BMW 528 2011

Quote:

I was wrong.

Before my car was hit by someone running a red-light, thank God it's not totaled and being fixed, I installed the army trix Valvetronic catback exhaust. I'm very pleased with this exhaust. I can be quiet when I want, or make my presence known. The only con, was the 5k price tag. You can get the black or chrome tips and keep it under 5k. I went for the carbon fiber tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #13
pippin
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10M5 Previous: E46 M3, ZHP

If you have a local muffler shop willing to do the work you could weld the first chamber shut on the muffler and purchase the electronics to open/close the valves. It is basically a stock muffler with them closed and a muffler delete without drone with them open.
Appreciate 0