BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

Help me Research M5 on Carvana

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I've reserved this car at Carvana https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1558716 . It's a great spec (Citron over Amaro) and is competitively priced. According to the Carfax linked on the ad, someone previously purchased the car from Carvana, paid to have it shipped to Raleigh, NC, paid for an inspection at Bimmer Performance Center, and then returned the car to Carvana using the 7 day no questions asked return policy. I tried to reach out to Carvana and Bimmer Performance Center to see what the PPI revealed that scared the previous buyer away, but couldn't get any info. I'm trying to avoid paying $800 for shipping and PPI only to find out there's some major issue that Carvana isn't finding in their probably not-so-thorough inspection. Any chance this person in Raleigh who attempted to buy it is on the forums? I know the previous owner was/is on the forums and tried to sell the car on here earlier this year, but I haven't had any luck reaching out to him/her. Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Be careful, I've seen people on the forums offload blown motor cars to carvana

Looks like it is pending sale anyway, that you I assume?

Last edited by Jonzny; 11-21-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Carvana won't let me view that M, error code 16 lol
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
Be careful, I've seen people on the forums offload blown motor cars to carvana

Looks like it is pending sale anyway, that you I assume?
That's what I'm worried about. Yes, that is me pending sale. I have them holding it for me until Monday.

Anyone else have any info? For reference, here is the previous for sale ad https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696882.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
The only option that I could see is if you worked with Carvana to get them to take it to a BMW dealer where the car is at right now and get it inspected. You would probably have to pay for the inspection but at least not the shipping.

Its kind of hard to say what the previous inspection found or didn't find. Even though we assume its because of the PPI that the car was returned, but there isn't 100% proof of that. Car could have checked out perfect but the previous owner wanted a truck or a two door, no one knows...

That being said, there can be some issues with these cars. First is burning oil. Either having to fill a quart every 1-2k miles or if the car is smoking after driving it hard. Or maybe the dealer recommended some services that need to get done and scared the buyer (tbh not services can be done at home and save bunch compared to the dealer; ie oil change, brakes, spark plugs, filter change, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Though you may not like to go down the route; however, you too have 7 days after you buy it to thoroughly inspect it and return it if red flags are identified.

Personally, sight unseen and no inspection is not a risk worth taking. I would move on!
      11-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
The only option that I could see is if you worked with Carvana to get them to take it to a BMW dealer where the car is at right now and get it inspected. You would probably have to pay for the inspection but at least not the shipping.

Its kind of hard to say what the previous inspection found or didn't find. Even though we assume its because of the PPI that the car was returned, but there isn't 100% proof of that. Car could have checked out perfect but the previous owner wanted a truck or a two door, no one knows...

That being said, there can be some issues with these cars. First is burning oil. Either having to fill a quart every 1-2k miles or if the car is smoking after driving it hard. Or maybe the dealer recommended some services that need to get done and scared the buyer (tbh not services can be done at home and save bunch compared to the dealer; ie oil change, brakes, spark plugs, filter change, etc...)
Thanks Ick. I should have thought of it, but hadn't considered the option of having it inspected near where it's at now to save the cost of shipping. Another 30 minutes on the phone with Carvana and they claim that it's too difficult logistically for them to transport the car to a 3rd party for an inspection . Picking it up near its current location in NC isn't an option either. I guess I have 24 hours to decide if this car is worth burning $800 over.

Last edited by C-dub; 11-22-2020 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      11-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

My M5 was purchased through Carvanna. It was an overall pleasant experience however, I will say their "Inspection" process did miss the fact that the rear main seal was leaking oil a bit. Not enough that any damage was done. I was filling the car with a quart of oil once a month which was expected with the M5 anyway.

The car was otherwise in perfect working order. I did take it to BMW on Carvanna's dime to repair the rear sunshade, get a new key and check the main seal. The car ran and drove great up until it was totaled the other night.
2013 F10 M5- Rest in peace
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
My M5 was purchased through Carvanna. It was an overall pleasant experience however, I will say their "Inspection" process did miss the fact that the rear main seal was leaking oil a bit. Not enough that any damage was done. I was filling the car with a quart of oil once a month which was expected with the M5 anyway.

The car was otherwise in perfect working order. I did take it to BMW on Carvanna's dime to repair the rear sunshade, get a new key and check the main seal. The car ran and drove great up until it was totaled the other night.
Saab, Sorry your car was totalled, but it's good to see that despite what looks like a pretty significant collision, no one was seriously hurt. That makes me feel good about driving my wife and son around in an M5. Good luck on the search for a replacement.

I've read a few stories on reddit about Carvana missing issues on the inspection, which makes me nervous. But in many cases, like you said, people reportedly made a claim for a repair and Carvana often, but not always, fixed the issue(s).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep

Update - I decided to pass. There were just too many red flags and I'm in no rush. Thanks the help. If anyone knows of a good deal on a well-maintained, well optioned LCI F10 M5 Comp or F06 M6GC Comp, PM me.

As a side note. I only realized when I first saw the pics of this car that the Individual M5 interior options are only extended leather and not full leather. I just always assumed they were full leather. I can't believe that for 5 grand you don't get the leather dash and doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Full leather is extremely nice, hard to go back to a car without it lol

I have no shipping fee for this car, but am too weary of the S63's after my first F10 experience. Thinking of jumping to an F80.

Hope you find what you are looking for, seems the value has gone up in the past year on these cars- like all used cars...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Full leather is extremely nice, hard to go back to a car without it lol
Agree - cars do feel a bit more 'luxury' when they have full leather.

Quote:
I have no shipping fee for this car, but am too weary of the S63's after my first F10 experience. Thinking of jumping to an F80.
Interested in what happened - got a link for me with the details?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisterB View Post
Agree - cars do feel a bit more 'luxury' when they have full leather.

Interested in what happened - got a link for me with the details?
Installed BM3 stage 1, the lowest power bump you can ask for. Later that same week I bent a rod. Car was completely stock otherwise

Even went as far as to send a video to the BootMod guys of the rod knock and they still hassled to refund me my money, claimed I was still using their tune even after flashing it back to stock on my end. They made me give them access to my computer to prove it was flashed back to stock.
Appreciate 0